So you think royal purple is THE oil! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 07:52 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

royal cars

Royal purple has some neat looking cars at bonneville. , was the car painted to match ? or the oil tinted to match the car ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So you think Royal Purple is THE oil?

I've run RP in a 89 Chevy K-3500 with a 502 and Edelbrock injection since 1996. It now has 288,000. miles on it. I tow a 37 ft enclosed Race Car trailer loaded with a '37 Chevy 12 port head coupe. So far so good and so far no problems. Good oil DOES make a difference to me. I don't change by mileage or time. I have a petcock on the crankcase side and I send my oil sample off to an Oil Analysis Lab. They make the decision for me.
Normbc9
Old 07-10-2011, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highball
I've run RP in a 89 Chevy K-3500 with a 502 and Edelbrock injection since 1996. It now has 288,000. miles on it. I tow a 37 ft enclosed Race Car trailer loaded with a '37 Chevy 12 port head coupe. So far so good and so far no problems. Good oil DOES make a difference to me. I don't change by mileage or time. I have a petcock on the crankcase side and I send my oil sample off to an Oil Analysis Lab. They make the decision for me.
Normbc9
Not to be argumentative here, but how does paying someone $30 to see if you need a $20 oil change work? (Just throwing numbers out there.)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highball
Normbc9
We have sent off oil samples for hi time jet engines, the response was eather do a wash of the gas paths or remove and replace as the results found particals from the second layer of the bearings. What I would like to know is using the labs recomendations to change the oil what kind of mileage/hours are you getting and what trends seem to affect the change rate?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPandComing
lol very possible , i own a tv and never watch it! lol just makes me wonder who fairs better
Ha... I own 2 tv's and watch them.....but there is never anything on thats worth a ***
Old 07-10-2011, 05:04 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer
Not to be argumentative here, but how does paying someone $30 to see if you need a $20 oil change work? (Just throwing numbers out there.)
now that's funny...
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

I'll tell you why.

If the oil is the life blood of the engine, knowing what's going on can help take the necessary measures BEFORE a major event takes place.

You may say, "engine's running fine, has been for a long time". But what if the test shows that certain metals are getting out of proportion, despite how it runs? What if you found out antifreeze was in the oil? Should you not know?

Sort of like the person who goes to the doctor and gets blood work done, tells the doc that they feel fine, yet results turn up some serious disorder that if dealt with now can prolong life.

As far as oil is concerned, all oils have to conform to API standards and essentially are the same. Some may have more or less of certain additives in the package, but all are very close to each other. It's the filtration that ultimately decides longevity. If the particles that cause the most damage are filtered out ( in the 1-3 micron range ) then the engine will go forever, especially if they are gasoline fueled.

Oil does not wear out, it only gets contaminated. I have owned several small and big diesels over the years and going by analysis is far cheaper.

Last edited by cleanspeed1; 07-10-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanspeed1
If the oil is the life blood of the engine, knowing what's going on can help take the necessary measures BEFORE a major event takes place.
I'm betting "the necessary measures" will probably be an oil change.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I'm betting "the necessary measures" will probably be an oil change.
Not in every situation.

Some things you can't see with your human eye or feel with your fingers.

You are under the impression that it's a scam or a hustle. Far from it, especially if you are messing with large amounts of oil per change.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

I'm not saying it's a scam...just the guy said he had it tested to know when to change his oil.

My point was just that if it's cheaper to just change the oil......well, you get the picture.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

royal purpal

I visited a co caled duroil,they put oil in the plastic containers,this was some time ago but the owner showed me the supply, a tank car of cheveron 10 w 30.that day they wher doing a run of royal p,each container got a shot of dy.they had several brands of containers. would only sell the durall brand to the service station owner i was with.they also did anty freeze. now i saw this with my own eyes .this co is no longer around,but was located in north van, canada. since then i buy what ever is cheap and has the corect cert for the use i have cliff
Old 07-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

So you think Royal Purple is THE oil?

I buy my Royal Purple from a vendor in Texas by the case lot, change it myself and no state tax (7.375% in my state) plus reasonable shipping charges too. The cost per qt is about 5.20 to me.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff tate
I visited a co caled duroil,they put oil in the plastic containers,this was some time ago but the owner showed me the supply, a tank car of cheveron 10 w 30.that day they wher doing a run of royal p,each container got a shot of dy.they had several brands of containers. would only sell the durall brand to the service station owner i was with.they also did anty freeze. now i saw this with my own eyes .this co is no longer around,but was located in north van, canada. since then i buy what ever is cheap and has the corect cert for the use i have cliff
I call BS.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanspeed1
Oil does not wear out, it only gets contaminated.
Thermal breakdown is a major cause of failed lubricating ability. That's wearing out.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 07-10-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T
I call BS.
I had the same experience with a local Shell Oil distributor, I had called to purchase some oil compatible dye to locate a leak at a hydroelectric dam in a series of huge air over oil actuators...there were 16 of them and trying to find the leak into the water was near impossible.

When I arrived at the distributor he handed me a nearly empty 500ml can of a silver colored liquid, best I can describe it looked like mercury in the can. He gave me instructions to be careful with it and that less than an ounce could color over a 1000 gallons of oil any shade of red depending on amount used.

When I asked what they used it for he told me they used it to color transmission fluid for bulk sales, Type F fluid got so much to make it orange and Dextron II got a little more to color it red. The only oil used to make both products was plain hydraulic oil which they received tanker cars of.

To say I was shocked would be an understatement, I questioned him further and he said no additional additives were added to either transmission oil and that all oil distributing companies use plain mineral/hydraulic oil to make any specific type transmission oil except for motor oil which is custom blended with additives for each customer. When I asked how much additives would be added to motor oil he said about 25 litres (one b5 gallon bucket) per tanker truck full but the markup is huge so its very profitable...the additive oil is like STP according to him.

I used the silver dye as instructed and was very impressed with it potentcy, I used less than a 1/4 ounce to color each actuator tank one by one a deep red...almost scarlet actually. In hindsight I could have probably used an eye dropper to get a red suitable to color the oil in each tank which held 100 gallons of oil.

We did find the leak using the dye, coloring one tank after another until we saw red in the water. Turned out a copper line has rotted through and there was a series of pinholes in it which we would have never found otherwise. Finding a leak when the oil is clear is very hard especially when its only dripping and you have miles of piping to go through.

Needless to say I buy the cheapest oil I can get now and just change it more often, if I want additives I get a can of STP or Rislone which has a much higher additive concentration obviously.

I can't comment on synthetic oils like Dextron III etc...but I would be willing to bet it comes in a tanker car and all synthetic oil is made from it with a little dye and a dropper full of additives to mark it up 2000%.

I worked at a shop where the Chevy work truck puked its entire transmission full of oil on the ground when the front seal went and was left idling for hours on end, it was refilled with cheap plain 15wt tractor hydraulic fluid and was never changed out. It worked like a charm and I couldn't tell the difference, ran that way for another 10 years while I worked there with never a problem with the transmission.

I'm not saying Royal Purple does not have its own custom additives added to it to make it superior to other oils, but I can tell you for sure the base stock is exactly the same as all the others...its still delivered in a tanker truck to the distributors to fill those little one litre bottles. There are only a few mfg's of oil base stocks, synthetic too...doesn't it make sense that this is how they would deliver it for distribution to local distributors that put it into little bottles?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.