Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   So you think royal purple is THE oil! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/so-you-think-royal-purple-oil-157740.html)

dawg 04-30-2009 09:26 AM

So you think royal purple is THE oil!

think again!
Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple

By George Gill

Royal Purple Ltd. was black and blue after BP Lubricants USA took it to task over advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, finding a receptive audience in the advertising industry’s self-regulatory forum.

Story

S10 Racer 04-30-2009 09:58 AM

It's sure priced like it's superior. Thanks for that info.

DoubleVision 04-30-2009 10:43 AM

I believe word of mouth from others experiences over anything a company will tell me as the company isn`t about to bash there own product, nor is the middle man who`s trying to sell the product. Just like myself, many times I`m quick to call Accel products junk after having countless bad experiences with there stuff. I don`t have any experience of Royal Purples motor oil or tranny fluid, but there diff fluid is all I use and it`s great stuff. After 7 years of use my limited slip diff still doesn`t pop or chatter. When I used the regular diff fluid with the GM additive I usually got about 3 years before the chatter returned.

Steve Garrison 07-07-2011 06:21 PM

Royal Purple

I have used Royal Purple for the past 7 years in my 2004 GMC Envoy and 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. I have it in the engine, transmission and rear end and run 5-7 thousand miles between oil changes. My fuel milage in both vehicles went up from 2 - 3 miles per gallon in both vehicles. That is a conservitive number. I also put an over size tranny pan and rear end cover on both vehicles to help with cooling in the desert heat. I love this oil. I also tried Lucas but it did not give me the same fuel milage gain.

Steve Garrison 07-07-2011 06:25 PM

Royal Purple

I have run Royal Purple in my Envoy and Dodge Ram 2500 for 7 years with great results. I go 5-7 k between oil changes and have got from 3-5 miles per gallon increase. I also run it in the tranny and rear end along with over sized pans to help with the desert heat. I tried Lucas and Mobile One but did not get the same fuel milage. I love Royal Purple.

nofearengineer 07-07-2011 07:03 PM

I'm sorry, but I have to doubt claims of getting 3-5 mpg better with a certain oil. That is a lot of horsepower going to friction losses.

shine 07-07-2011 07:08 PM

no thanks. i'll stick with Mobil 1 .

Greg T 07-07-2011 11:23 PM

I did a dyno test a while back with a 78 Camaro I had with a zz4, HOT cam, air gap and Ede 750. Ran 10W-30 Valvoline VR1 on the dyno, 3 runs to establish an average. Changed to RP 10W-30 XPR, drove the car about 60 miles and made 3 more dyno runs. Gained an average of 13 HP and as much TQ.

If an independent study is done with about 4 or 5 different oil brands I would probably believe them. A test done by ANY company testing their product against another is telegraphing the results. PLUS, the oil they pick on is the one they're afraid of.

327NUT 07-08-2011 12:33 AM

Mr. Garrison, after reading your only 2 posts, both in regards to Royal Purple I have to ask this question........how long have you worked for or been a distributor for Royal Purple??

UPandComing 07-08-2011 01:52 AM

LMAO 327, ok now the article specified RP synthetic oil and from the sounds of it this is in regards to its use on the average everyday vehicle, sound about right? to me common sense says an oil that cost $8 and up is not meant for your standard Honda or Chevy envoy rolling down the highway :spank: that's why the manufacturer recommends a certain type of oil. now for those of us who do some racing and are making upwards of 600+HP :welcome: it seems to make more sense. i have been running royal purple in my car for years now and have yet to have an issue but then again i never had an issue before with pennzoil product before either. so lets expand this a little bit has anyone every had a major mechanical failure after switching to a royal purple product in their street car or race car? what was it? whats the pros and cons? is it worth it ?

TMF Lindbeck 07-08-2011 02:12 AM

Odd just read the article and its from 2009.... I dont own a tv but I do get to see the tube every now and again and recall hearing these "banned" RP claims sence then

UPandComing 07-08-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF Lindbeck
Odd just read the article and its from 2009.... I dont own a tv but I do get to see the tube every now and again and recall hearing these "banned" RP claims sence then

lol very possible , i own a tv and never watch it! :smash: lol just makes me wonder who fairs better

68NovaSS 07-08-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Garrison
I have run Royal Purple in my Envoy and Dodge Ram 2500 for 7 years with great results. I go 5-7 k between oil changes and have got from 3-5 miles per gallon increase. I also run it in the tranny and rear end along with over sized pans to help with the desert heat. I tried Lucas and Mobile One but did not get the same fuel milage. I love Royal Purple.

Merged this thread, same subject, almost a duplicate post, are you pushing this stuff?

Sixguns 07-08-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPandComing
so lets expand this a little bit has anyone every had a major mechanical failure after switching to a royal purple product in their street car or race car? what was it? whats the pros and cons? is it worth it ?

I doubt you can find anyone that had a major mechanical failure with any type or brand of engine oil, just not going to happen.

UPandComing 07-09-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixguns
I doubt you can find anyone that had a major mechanical failure with any type or brand of engine oil, just not going to happen.

Exactly so does it really matter what oil you run ??? at this point i think ill just stay with my pennzoil 10w-30 :confused: