Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SoCal style in the 60's
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Born 2 Loose

Wiki Edits: 0

SoCal style in the 60's

I grew up in Stanton, a small town (barrio) near Disneyland before it was Disneyland. Santa Ana, a nearby "big city" offered week-end street drags from stoplight to stoplight DOWNTOWN!! Man, those were the days! Cruising and street racing and hooking up with friends to find where the "party's" were that night was just the start of a really fun week-end. Unless of course you got in trouble, ahem (PC 647f Drunk in Public) and wound up in the main jail where you knew everybody and everybody knew you. I remember the bars on the windows that opened onto an alley were finger loose and could be removed and used to give thumpin' "noogies" to your homies. Nobody bothered to escape though, too much trouble.

Money was tight (the more things change....) Good ol' Louie had a six cylinder '54 Chevy (vatomobile) that would get us from Stanton to Santa Ana for a $1.00 gas donation. Gas was 25 cents/gal so it worked out. Next came getting our hands on some beer (El Cheapo Golden Grain Beer from Rexall Drugs...guaranteed to provide a massive morning headache/dry heaves/porcelain Goddess where are you/ Oh God, I'll never do this again/I ain't got nuthin' more to throw up 'cept my nuts!!. Then once our courage was fortified, trying to hook up with the ladies YOWZA!!

My point (there is one somewhere) is that there was a tire/wheel/hubcap combo during that time that was very popular, especially so among 50's-60's Chevys. It consisted of a black reversed 15" wheel utilizing a small crossed flags ('58-''59?) Chevy dogdish hubcap and a "beautry ring". It was KILLER and cheap too. I loved the style but haven't seen an example for 40-50 (yikes!) years. What happened? Anybody got photos. I'd really like to see them again.

Lotsa stories in these old bones. Anybody out there???