Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Social Security.
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaway2long
Dewey-
I don't mind you challenging my thoughts. It helps hone them !

OK, here's my basis

Quote1 SSI/SSDI
Your numbers are a bit skewed. I will post a link at the bottom, for your review, after digging through the site, you will see the appropriations- Short form is this:
16% goes to Senior Citizens (includes spouses)
84% goes to blind and handicapped.
http://www.ssa.gov
http://www.ssa.gov/budget/2004bud.html#TFunds
I believe you have it backwards. Interestingly when I responded to the original post I was using the very same site you were using (the second link) to get my info. That site say:

$410,896 million goes to OASI (That's Old Age Security Insurance - retired folks) and

$77,950 goes to DI (That's Disability Insurance- blind and handicapped)

Quote:
I'm sorry, but there CAN'T be that many people that are fully incapacitated. SIX times the amount of the Senior Citizens?
You are right. There aren't. It's the other way around. Six times as many retired seniors as disabled.

Quote:
Regarding dependants receiving a check...There are NUMEROUS programs to aid them. If the parent is able to reproduce, I think they can find work.
Many disabilities come on in mid to later life, well after people have children. So the able to reproduce - able to work theory as not appropriate in a vast number of cases. And I just don't share your conclusion there are numerous programs to adequately aid the children of disabled parents.

Quote:
Quote 3 You misinterpretted me.
Yes I did misunderstand your position on that part. Sorry.

Quote:
Currently, for W/C, you have your Doc ,a W/C doc, and legal. Not a panel of 5 to 7 Docs. Seems like a lot of Docs, but I think ultimately, it will be a better determination.
I'm not that familiar with Workers Comp (I'm assuming that is your W/C reference?) But that is the case for DI. Social security also relies heavily on the "Blue Book" which was written by many panels of docs in many specialties. The idea there was to cut down of the expense of having 5-7 docs review each and every application by setting up the specific thresholds for each disease/disability which would qualify for aid. You might be right that it would be better to have a large number of docs review each case - but also a lot more expensive. I wouldn't object strongly to your position on this one.

Quote:
Quote 5 This was INTENDED as a "hurdle" for the W/C people. If you are collecting W/C, and they determine you "Fully handicapped", whereas you collect SSDI for life, it will already be determined whether you can attend a "jobshop" or not. This is simply intended to deter fraudulent or borderline claiments.
I'm getting a little confused running together the Workers Comp and Social Security Disability programs. As I understand it, they are totally different programs, totally different administrations, totally different pots of money, and totally different rules and regulations. I know nearly nothing about Workers Comp and was speaking only of SSDI.

BTW, SSDI is not for life. Cases are reviewed on a regular (usually yearly but sometimes 5 years based on the handicap) basis and benefits are terminated if the individual becomes able to work.

Quote:
My post was not intended to upset you. I feel bad for your sister-inlaw, but SHE is not the problem.
Beenaway, I know you well enough from this forum and our many PMs to know your post was never intended to be hurtful or anything other than a statement of your position on the issue. No offense taken whatsoever.

Dewey