SODA Blasting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 03:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SODA Blasting

http://spi.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=156&mforum=spi

I have no interest in arguing with someone that does SODA blasting but is posting this only because it will be useful info to some of you.

You can see my statements and they were a little radical as what I was going to do in the next tech books.

The last post that I posted today will sum up everything I said and its the first time PPG has beat me to the punch! LOL

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006, 04:59 PM

Hi Barry,
Rather than bug you on the phone, we're currently taking a 67 big block, big$$$ vette down to the bare bones. Just curious on your preference for the substrate.Turbo primer or start off with a spray poly which is my initial plan and then the turbo.----of course its final product will be southern polyurethane ms clear.All the best.-----Bob
Old 03-09-2006, 05:13 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

barry , i'm almost done with the 62 vette. still have some spots of undercoat to hit. i'll post some pics when done. the starblast has outperformed the acrylic. it is very forgiving at the right distance. it worked great at about 2 ft. no damage to the surface, it will blow surface fibers out where it's been sanded. i'm impressed. i have a snow white 62 vette to start with. damn i'm spoiled
Old 03-09-2006, 05:18 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

soda blasting is like dipping. it get into places you just cant get it out of. i've tried just about everything in my years. none of it worked. i'm convince blasting is the way.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I'm convinced this situation is the result of poor training and improper technique, rather than any insurmountable problem with the soda blasting process.

BUT, I'm going to be very leery of accepting a soda blasted vehicle in the future because of this.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

Bob,
Today would have been a perfect day to call! We were putting up wooden fencing around dock and dock ramp and I was the one carrying the 80lbs of concrete, can't have the younger guys hurting themselves. Sure could of used a break.
I would put the poly than the Turbo like you said.
BK

Shine,
Can't wait to see that vette.\
BK
Old 03-10-2006, 07:47 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Soda blasting was originally developed to service the pulp and paper industries,to blast clean the rollers and presses(all stainless steel)as other medias were either not agressive enough or to abrasive when it got into the machinery around them.

It was then adopted by the automotive industry as a miracle media,but now people are finding it is too costly as well as corrosive unless totally neutralized,which is hard to do considering the places something that fine can get into.

Like silica sand,I think it's had it's day,and its time to move on to something else,the problems out weigh the benefits of it.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim..
It was then adopted by the automotive industry as a miracle media,but now people are finding it is too costly as well as corrosive unless totally neutralized,which is hard to do considering the places something that fine can get into.

Am I missing something here or is it you Jim isn't soda positive Ph and an acid neutralizer?

Brian
Old 03-10-2006, 05:49 PM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Being in the blasting buisness,I've used a few different medias,never used soda myself,just going by what I've read and heard from others.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

Yea, vinegar and water and warm water and soap will both neutralize the product. ANY re-drying of product will cause failure in that area. (look out seams.)

Rinsing is most important and if you did the steps properly you will have a surface rusting when finished, so whats the point of using the stuff to Begin with.
None I can see.

I talked to 3 different manufacturers today and all if the jobber calls the lab will get the same story, "we don't know how to neutralize it" and we don't recommend products over it.

So like Jim says its a goner!
Old 03-12-2006, 06:31 PM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

The article I read about it stated that sodium bicarbonate,while not particularily caustic itself,it is a form af sodium,just like sodium chloride (salt),it is a highly conductive mineral and promotes electrolysis between dissimilar metals in the panels,and like Barry says you can neutralize it,but when it drys out,it's still there,ready to do more damage.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Well isn't that just great haven't been on this site in quite a while I've been researching and making my own soda blaster so that I could do my own car now that I'm done it and blasted 6 bags of soda on my car I come in and go on this site and OF COURSE ! soda is the wrong thing to use GREAT !
So now what do I do how do you neutralize it. I thought you just washed with soap and water then scuffed the panel before you put on the primer as I knew you couldn't paint without washing off the soda or you would have problems. A guy that just started at work used to work where they soda blasted cars he said that they washed them down with mineral spirits with no problems???? So what is the proper way I'm too far in now as 60+% of the car is done .
Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Yea, vinegar and water and warm water and soap will both neutralize the product. ANY re-drying of product will cause failure in that area. (look out seams.)

Rinsing is most important.

From above post.

Mineral spirits will do nothing for you.
Other than sandblasting the above two recommendations are the only ones that will work for 100% adhesion.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Yea, ok soda bad no use! What is the recomend way to blast you car. I watch the horse power TV show on saturday and there doing a couple of car and they blasted the Charger so I guess my question is what the new best way to strip down you car or truck.

Craig
Old 04-05-2006, 04:56 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

DuPont starblast is the best i have found for the money.it is a very fine media and get into pits and cracks well. my supplier has nothing good to say about soda. what gets me is if you call and ask about it you will be told it's no big deal. they do it all the time. i just cant chance that kind of major failure on a customers car. went thru that with the dipping thing. thought i was going to have to buy a model a .

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.