Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Soda Blasting on the cheap
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Fix it until it breaks

Last journal entry: Attempt #2 -- Success
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks,Franzİ, for adding to the discussion. I feel the need to make two points, however.

The first is that a "fact" deals with a special kind of truth or reality and can be distinguished from opinion or conclusions. You provide all three types, but identify them all as "fact". For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzİ
FACT{ Soda operates at far lower pressures than hard medias, and far lower volumes of media per square area than conventional media.
Most reasonable people would agree that was a "fact".

Quote:
FACT{ I'll refrain from commenting on Eastwood's product beyond saying I wouldn't pay 10˘ for it. If it took Eastwood's more than 2 hours to figure out the eductor they need to restudy the subject.
Most reasonable people would agree that was an opinion and not a fact.

Quote:
FACT{ anybody with some knowledge of dry media handling eductors can build a soda blaster similar to a company I'll not mention a second time from a dry powder extinguisher in a home shop.
Most reasonable people would agree that was a conclusion and not a fact.

NOTE: If you will provide it, a reference to technical information about the design of dry media handling eductors would be an especially useful addition to this thread since it would allow us to build our own soda blaster from a dry powder extinguisher (I have several that are too old to be acceptable to the Fire Marshall).

Second, I believe that your are not making an allowance for the important distinction between hobbyist and commercial equipment. Commercial equipment needs to be very ruggedly built, trouble-free and produce consistent, repeatable results at or above industry standards in a production environment. Such a piece of equipment is the Ace Soda Blaster, Model #101826-A, retailing at $2,300. The Eastwood Soda Blaster, while made of good materials at $300, is intended as hobby equipment.

No professional should consider the purchase and use of the Eastwood blaster to earn their living, just as most hobby users would not consider the purchase of the Ace equipment. We would elect to spend that extra $2000 one something else, if we even had it in the first place.

Your criticisms of the Eastwood blaster imply that you expect absolute parity between the commercial and hobbyist blasters. The more useful question is not whether the Eastwood blaster is a $2000 cheaper drop-in replacement of the Acer blaster (it is not), but whether or not the Eastwood blaster can do an adequate job for the hobby user.

That is a conclusion (and not a fact) that can be determined only buy using it for the purpose it was intended and examining the results. From what I have seen, for $300 it's "good enough" if used properly (and you clearly point out some of the problems any soda blaster must overcome).

Since it is unlikely that many of us will be purchasing and using commercial-grade equipment and you are knowledgeable in soda blasting tools and techniques, what practical advice can you offer that will allow us to get the most out of the Eastwood blaster?