Soda Blasting VS. Chemical Dipping - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 07:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Soda Blasting VS. Chemical Dipping

Hey all,
I just purchased a 66 Mustang Coupe that from what I can see has a very straight body. I got a freakin good deal ($1000 and it runs) so I have "some" money to play with. I want to start a ground up resto on it with a few custom applications here and there. I can have the car soda blasted and primered for $750 or chemical dipped and primered for $2500. I have heard horror stories about chemical dipping and sand blasting so I'm not sure which way to go. Price difference is pretty obvious but I'm not sure if the bads out way the goods to justify going the cheaper route. This 66 Mustang has only a little surface rust. Floor boards are rock solid as well is the trunk. If I went the chemical dip way I would be able to get all of the "suprises" that can be revealed taken care of in one job. If I go the soda blasting method I might find rust under the paint, bondo or who know's what. Plus I'm not sure if soda blasting can warp the metal like I've read here about sand blasting. I've also heard that if the chemical dip is not cleaned off properly it can lead to "rust bleeding" in the future.

Well I want to do this right, I got a rotissere and the needed body work tools, just want a good starting point with the bare metal.

As allways you guys rock and help us rookies get through the hard stuff!.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 08:12 AM

Your going to get differing opinions from everyone. My opinion is have it dipped...by a reputable company. That way all the problems you have heard about rinsing, etc. will not come into play.

Regarding your pricing they both seem off base. The blasting price seems to low and the dipping price seems to high. Also, I know of very few companys who do both the dipping/blasting and then primering as well. Personally after the car was dipped/blasted I would want to be the one who applys the primer. This will become the base for which all the rest of the painting is built from. If it sucks, so will your final paint...eventually anyway.

Does the blasting price include all the interior surfaces? At least the ones they can get to. (you won't have this problem with a dip.)
Old 12-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

When I took my '62 to Redi-Strip, one of of the guys there was telling me of a customer that brought in the body of a '66 'Stang. It was straight but had too many layers of paint on it so he wanted it stripped. Long story short....when it was all done and all of the bondo removed, the customer loaded it on a trailer and hauled it to the junkyard. Look it over real good before you decide. I thought I looked my '62 over before I had it stripped. It's amazing what hides underneath paint and undercoating.

Kevin
Old 12-20-2004, 10:26 AM

Hmmm,
Good point on the car that melted away. So would it just be better to strip it myself? That way if there is a ton of bondo I won't be out a lot of money and I can ditch the car if needed. I got the time I just wanted it done all the way. How long would I be able to have the car at the bare metal stage if they do not primer it? I keep being told that it will rust "instantly".

I'm going to take digital pics after work today to start the tracking the process. I'll post em when I get em.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:09 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

When Redi-Strip did mine it sat better than a year in bare metal before even starting to rust. Then I had my surgery and the guy that was going to finish it had people leaning on it and all. Yep, rust. It is coated with a rust inhibitor. Best bet though is to get it primed right away, then start on the work just to be safe.

Kevin

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.