Sold My House, Lost My Shop - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 03:19 AM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sold My House, Lost My Shop

Now what do I do??? I did the unthinkable...sold my soul...my shop/house. Short of begging of my buddies what am I gonna do?? My apartment mgr hates my diesel dually. If I so much as lift the hood to check the oil she is out there reminding me not to work on my truck in the lot. Even changing oil is a problem.
I suppose I can go over to AZ and do parking lot oil changes, fuel filters maybe a belt. Changing brake pads or rotaqting tires is a real problem without air tools.
Looks like I'm going to need a genset and a compressor for the back of the truck. My own rolling shop. Not that the truck needs a lot of servicing. But when it is cold or wet seems like the most likely time for service I changed a fuel filter at -18 f a couple months ago. Not fun.

The carwash mgr always walks by me in the wash stall to check for rear ends or motors being washed. Now would I do anything like that??

I'm getting ready to get a 44 foot trailer with living qtrs so I will have at least a small shop. But the streetrod will take up most of it.

The price of downsizing and mobility. Anybody got any ideas??? I did see a guy with a small tent over the front of his truck up north in the snow. I think he had a torpedo heater too.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2006, 05:03 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

A great BIG BUMMER 2 U, got to hate those apartment mangers, ever notice how their cars are always crap.... I think they should change their oil in the parking lot. ..... what a think?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:24 AM

Ridgerunner

First: Check your lease contract, closely again, then again. There are some basic rights of tenants that go along with any lease to rent, even if you are month to month and they are unwritten. Check with your local ordinances and city, state, county regulations that support tenants. I.E., educate yourself to these items, do your homework...it will help.

Second: Be a bit patient with the landlord...she is between a rock and a hard spot too...her job is at stake...put on her shoes and see how they feel

Third: Once you do some soul searching regarding your lease you may come up with some loop holes that sastisfied her needs too...then remember that she will be more responsive to a "Win-Win" approach than to confrontation. Who knows, she may have a 'hiding' place for you work on your truck w/o being visible to other tenants and potential tenants.

Four: Maybe she would be responsive to some help with her own car...like a trade-off of "I scratch your back, you help me." Sugar attracts cooperation.

Five: If you decide to move to a trailer park, check out the rules there.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:52 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I thought about the "schmooze" thing. Your right, her car is a POS. One of those that you fix one thing onlyto have another go bad. I do try to have a constant smile...part of my new philosophy ..it really works. I even saw a couple guys stuggling with some furniture and offered to help move some of their stuff with my truck. They were really glad I did. It's tough to carry a big couch in a small ricer. I don't know what they were planning with the refer. I say hi to the one guy almost every night. I helped the neighbor across the driveway haul some stuff to the dump last fall. He is a good guy too.
I think I'm going to get a storage unit at a very secure place across town. They have a 24 hour secure entry. I asked if it would be ok to do some minor work on the streetrod and they said as long as I don't make a mess it is ok. so at least I can do some stuff.
The lease is pretty iron clad. The snow removal system here and in the city is pretty restrictive and they will tow in a heartbeat.

I don't know how these nite vision thing work but maybe I can get the head set and some ultaviolet lites and work after midnite. Won't that be something.
I just hope the big diesel remains trouble free. I have relatives 100 mile aways so I can schedule some things for up there.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:11 PM

I think the storage garage is the best bet...with lights and electric outlet. Like they say, keep it clean and all is OK. Also, a bit of freedom. Good choice!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

My first thought was why! But we all have are personal stuff. Well if you come to Az there is a lot of places you can stay and not get hasseled when you work on your stuff.

Craig
Old 04-06-2006, 06:23 PM

Wisconsin too!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Maurer
Wisconsin too!

No kidding. And, changing a fuel filter at -18* isn't anything. I've got a 2 car garage and still had to change the water pump 3 times (bad castings) at that same temp. I can do that job in 55 minutes now on my truck. The wrenches are still frozen to my fingers...

In a while, Chet.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

It's terrible. I live in an apartment, and I'm mid-way through the restoration of my '65. Every now and again I have something to change (belts... hoses... whatever...) and it's a terrible time trying to get around the apartment management nazis. I'm not even allowed to raise her to check my brakes. I figured out a way around it, though, and it may work for you! Does your management work on the weekends?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.