Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - soldering large guage wires
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Another opinion on this subject; the only wires I solder on a car are the big ones - main hot lead, battery cable ends, etc. Everything else I prefer use a quality crimp connector 'cause over time it has proved to be a better connection. Although a soldered connection (regardless of what type of solder you use) is the best electrical conducting connection you can use, the solder solidifies the wire right at the connector edge and the flexibility of the multi-strand wire is lost. The solder soaked wire also seems to be much more brittle than a solid copper wire of the same size. I have had many of these small soldered joints break and cause an open circuit. Has happened just from vibration of being in service on a running car in spots I would have sworn were well protected. Crimp joints however have never failed that way for me. Once they are properly crimped, they last forever and conduct as well as a soldered joint. Crimp, give the connector a firm tug to be sure it is well attached and it will never give problems.