Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - soldering large guage wires
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 08:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Gotta Add My 2 Cents-
I do a lot of wiring on trucks,trailers and equiptment for my employer.I have access to just about any type of crimper,butt splice and heatshrink you can think of.In my experience,the most reliable and toughest splice is a soldered splice insulated with a heatshrink tube that has an adhesive/sealer inside.My technique varies with the size of the wires ,but for larger wires I use a combination of Willy's and Grouch's methods.I start with a good twisted mechanical splice as Grouch described,then solder it ,as Willys instructed.I do use plumbers flux,for the same reasons as Willys.As previously mentioned,it is very important to clean up the joint after soldering to prevent corrosion.My prefered heat shrink is 3M type ITCSN,available in many sizes at electrical supply houses that carry 3M products.It is a very tough,flexible material(rubber/vynle?) that has a heat activated adhesive-glue inside,that is UL approved for up to 600 volts ,even directly buried underground.
George