Soldering station - good quality/price compromise? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 08:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Soldering station - good quality/price compromise?

Hi folks,
I read the old post about soldering stations and irons, to try to get an idea of what's good to use to do a good wiring job. I read Docvette's post about getting a temerature controlled soldering station. I looked online and saw that Radio Shack stuff gets really bad reviews - not relaibale and no way to get new tips, etc. I know Weller is a good name for soldering equipment, but it seems that temperature controlled stations are kinda expensive (I'm not going to be wiring cars every other day). Normally I have access to pretty full stocked shop, but I have a couple of weeks where I can't get to the shop, I'm short on cash, but I got most of the supplies for wiring. I want to do it at home, but I'd have to get a soldering iron/station.
What models do you suggest?

Thanks for any advice,
Ran

Last edited by kick_the_reverb; 11-28-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

Google names like Weller and Ungar to find some choices. Here's a Weller model 3S5-300 for about $65:

http://www.ceitron.com/solder/station.html
Old 11-28-2006, 12:01 PM

Thanks...although the website was last updated in 2003 and I can't seem to find that model number anywhere but on that specific site, leading me to believe it has been discontinued. Also, AFAIK, Ungar has been assimilated into Weller.
Any other suggestions (less than $100)?
Thanks,
Ran
Old 11-28-2006, 03:28 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Here are a couple of good choices.

This one is just wattage control, works for simple things (wiring and simple circuitry) just fine and is only $50. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=372-120

Here is one for $130 that has temp control and is more suited to heavy continuous use. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=372-145
Old 11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

I have used Weller's for years, and they always seem to do the job just fine..

I would go to the Weller site, and chose the one best suited to your budget, just be sure the station IS temp controlled AND it is an ISO tip..(So you don't have shorts on a ground, from the tip power..Or static discharges on C & HMOS Circuits)..

Another plus is see if the tip is 12 VDC powered..and the reason for this, Is IF the controller EVER does burn out, you can remove the pencil Iron and run it from a bench supply OR from the battery of the vehicle your working on..You still have a working Iron this way that is portable (if you have 12 VDC available to you) Most folks just toss the whole thing..The Iron will still work fine!

Doc
Old 12-02-2006, 09:33 PM

I have to agree with Doc....Weller will do the job for 99% of the people needing a good soldering station. I've also used them for years.

BTW Doc, thanks for pointing out that you can use the iron on 12 volts....never thought about doing it. Guess I'm gonna have to start Dumpster
Diving!!
Old 12-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray
I have to agree with Doc....Weller will do the job for 99% of the people needing a good soldering station. I've also used them for years.

BTW Doc, thanks for pointing out that you can use the iron on 12 volts....never thought about doing it. Guess I'm gonna have to start Dumpster
Diving!!
Doc here,

Not all are 12 volts, (that's why I said, be sure it is) some are 110 Volts..you have to look in the iron body where the iron goes into the plastic handle, where the two pieces meet, there is a data plate, with three screws on it..It will either say 12 volts, or 110 volts..the 12 volter's are the ones you want.

Doc
Old 12-03-2006, 04:46 PM

BTW, I realized that getting a station was out of my budget, and since the temperature controlled ones are more important to sensitive electronic components (which I don't have in the van now), I went and got 2 Weller simple soldering irons - a 40w one (SP40LK) for most of the connectors, and a 100/140w gun (8200PK) for bigger wires. Of course, really big wires (4 and 1/0 gauge) will probably be soldered with a torch. I tried borrowing my buddy's station, but he instead lent me a small butane solder gun (that hardly worked). I tried borrowing his ratchet crimper and "automatic" stripper, but instead he gave me one of those cheap crimpers/strippers. I said thanks, and got the soldering irons for $18 and $30, a plier type crimper for 10-22 gauge and a self adjusting stripper for 8-22 gauge. I'll leave the big wires for last and get help doing them.
I also found "dual wall adehesive lined moisture resistant" shrink tube assortment at Fry's Electronics for $13.
I would have loved to get a Weller station, but all the temp controlled ones are over $100, and needing to buy other tools made that expense impossible.

Thanks for all the advice, tomorrow it's time to make the living room floor a mess with all the wires (no room for 4'X8' boards).

Ran
Old 12-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

For the Big terminals, go to ACE, and get a handful of these:

Just strip your wire, and slide it into the collar, then ratchet it down good and tight..If you try to solder the big cables, chances are they will turn out "Cold" or you'll melt the insulation. This is better, and quicker, AND replaceable.

Doc
Old 12-03-2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks!
Ran

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.