Solenoid only works with output wire disconnected - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Solenoid only works with output wire disconnected

I am trying to get my Western plow working now that we got ten inches of snow! It has me completely baffled. The plow itself it fine and works properly. The issue is getting power to the pump motor. I have twelve volts to the input side of the solenoid. When I trip the solenoid I don't have any power to the output side of the.solenoid. If I unhook the output wire from the solenoid to the pump then I get twelve volts to the output side of the solenoid. If I touch the power wire from the pump to the battery the pump runs and the plow lifts and turns as it should.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Solenoid is junk, can not handle the current. If you can jump across the big terminals on the solenoid and the pump runs it is the solenoid for sure. Any Ford style solenoid will work for you.

Chet
Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23 View Post
Solenoid is junk, can not handle the current. If you can jump across the big terminals on the solenoid and the pump runs it is the solenoid for sure. Any Ford style solenoid will work for you.
Its a brand new solenoid (not saying its not bad). Wouldn't it still show 12 volts to the output side of the solenoid when the output wire is connected? It shows twelve volts to the output side with the output wire disconnected.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
Its a brand new solenoid (not saying its not bad). Wouldn't it still show 12 volts to the output side of the solenoid when the output wire is connected? It shows twelve volts to the output side with the output wire disconnected.
Could also be a bad connection on the input side that cant supply current under load. Check the voltage on the input side while the output is still connected and you activate the plow. Could be a bad feed. If you jump the two large wires on the solenoid and the pump doesnt run the feed is no good. This is effectively what the solenoid does.
how is the solenoid feed connected to the battery. I would be very suspicious of this connection if the later test does not run the pump

Chet
Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23 View Post
Could also be a bad connection on the input side that cant supply current under load. Check the voltage on the input side while the output is still connected and you activate the plow. Could be a bad feed. If you jump the two large wires on the solenoid and the pump doesnt run the feed is no good. This is effectively what the solenoid does.
how is the solenoid feed connected to the battery. I would be very suspicious of this connection if the later test does not run the pump
I checked all my connections over and over again. After I posted my last reply I Went out and decided to check everything again. I took the input cable loose from the battery and there was some rusty washers between the input to the solenoid and the battery terminal clamp. I removed the washers and put the on the other side of the input wire from the solenoid. I found my gremlin! I was so happy when the pump kicked on and the plow moved. Thanks man. Now to move all this damned snow...........
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Now next time it snows, you have to drive over here to plow me out.

Chet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.