Solid Lifters Vs Hydraulics. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Solid Lifters Vs Hydraulics.

I aquired a 400 SBC with Crower Solid Lifters. 1.6 Roller Rockers, 5.7 Pushrods, Crower Cam Lobe Sep @ 112 Degrees, Duration at .050 is Intake: 260 Exh :266. Went from a ZZ4 Chevy 350 , 355 HP to this. My question is this: At what intervals do I have to adjust the Solid Lifters? I paid a shop to set the Cold and Hot Lash on them but still noisy or are they just noisy in general?. More so then the ZZ4?. How do I know the lash was set aside from taking their word? Again, what determines the intervals in adjustment. The car is a "Weekend Warrior" . Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsog
I aquired a 400 SBC with Crower Solid Lifters. 1.6 Roller Rockers, 5.7 Pushrods, Crower Cam Lobe Sep @ 112 Degrees, Duration at .050 is Intake: 260 Exh :266. Went from a ZZ4 Chevy 350 , 355 HP to this. My question is this: At what intervals do I have to adjust the Solid Lifters? I paid a shop to set the Cold and Hot Lash on them but still noisy or are they just noisy in general?. More so then the ZZ4?. How do I know the lash was set aside from taking their word? Again, what determines the intervals in adjustment. The car is a "Weekend Warrior" . Thanks.
Solid lifters will be noisy because of the lash, it's their nature. As far as re-adjusting them, it depends on how many miles you put on it but I would say somewhere around every 3k miles. You will just have to take the shops word for it unless you want to check them yourself.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Solids Vs Hydraulics.

Thanks to you S10. I quess I just have to monitor the engine for unusual noises and Thanks for the 3K answer. I will use it as a "Baseline" & take it from there. Have a good one.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Lash is easy to set, just a little time consuming. It wouldn't hurt to check the lash yourself that way you know how to do it. When I had my Blazer I put a solid lifter cam in it. At first I checked the lash at every oil change. But I found most never changed so I started checking the lash at every other oil change and at the most I had to adjust a couple rocker arms.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsog
How did you determine the lash, or did the shop determine lash. The lifters should not be noisy. If you know the correct lash, warm the engine up to operating temp, pull a valve cover and check the lash on a given cylinder. If the intake is greater than 18;exhaust greater than 20 , your lash is probably excessive. But Crower is who should be providing you the correct spec., if in question.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If were you, I'd install a starter button on the firewall, (for easy bumping over, much easier than disconnecting the coil and having someone man the ignition switch or hooking up a hand held starter button every time), and learn to do it yourself. If your motor doesn't have too much stuff in the way, it's a task that can be done, after some practice, in as little as about 1/2 an hour.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Or you can roll it over using the crank bolt. You'll get the engine exactly where you want it that way. If the engine has higher compression it would be a good idea to pull the spark plugs first.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

set the lash youself. Set tjhe lash using the intake close/exhaust opens method of getting the lifter on the base circle of the cam lobe you are adjusting.

Set the lash .002" tighter than the cam card specs.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Solid Lifters

Thanks to "ALL" for your inputs. I will take it from here. Gives me time to get with Crower on this.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.