Hot Rod Forum banner

solid roller cam...lifter broke!

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
I have a 350 chevy with a sold roller cam. The other day, the engine started making a loud rocker arm tap. I poped off the valve cover to find one of my exhaust rockers had way to much valve lash clearance. The lock nut was tight so I figured I would take a look at the lifter. So I poped off the intake and found that the wheel on the roller lifter was seized and it was warn down on one side from the cam lobe rubbing against it. I felt the cam lobe with my finger and didn't feel warn down at all but it was a little rough. I was wondering if I could get away with just putting a new roller lifter in. I really don't want to go through another hasle of changing the cam and spending another $300. Please give me some opinions. Thanks.

PS. The cam is a billet cam.

#2 ·
Just my opinion...
Get another cam. I wouldn't mess with anything that's wore down, not to mention a little rough. I know it's expensive for the new cam and all, but you don't want to go through it again.

First thing is first though. Figure out why the lifter froze.....

#4 ·
if the lobe is worn or pitted the cam will need to be fixed or replaced, it is possible to have a cam reground a lot cheeper than replacing it, and definitly find out what took it out in the first place. incorectly adjusted rocker arms, to much spring pressure, lack of lubrication are good places to start.

#5 ·
I had a set of heads where they moved the intake runner a little for the flow needed. They did not machine enough clearance for the push rod's which in turn done exactly the same on mine twice, before I figured it out. They gladly repaired it and place a few bad valve's and keeper's because they were worn and scored.
They also admitted they had some heads get on the market.
Please send me a PM with the manufacture's name of the head.
I don't want to get sued for saying who it was. Just to be safe.

#6 ·
this really sux. I just put this cam in 3 weeks ago along with a new oil pump. I had it custom ground. I used the same roller lifters. I believe the lifter broke because the oil pump that was in it before wasn't doing to good. The oil pressure was pretty low. Thats my guess, but the new oil pump fixed that problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.