Hot Rod Forum banner

solid roller cam noise

16K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  ap72 
#1 ·
do mechanical rollers make alot of noise i have one in my camaro with .025 valve lash. u can hear the roller rockers ticking but it seems like when u put your ear down by the fender well u can hear alot of noise coming from the cam. is this normal or am i mistaken and its just the rockers

#6 ·
cope said:
how offtin should i adjust them i was told every oil change and i do it while the engine is hot. this is my first soild cam
I had a .660 lift solid roller in a race car and pulled the covers off about 6 weekends in a row. It needed adjusting only the first 2 and after pulling them for the next 4 weekends and not needing any adjustment, I ran the car for about a month and it still didn't need anything. The car always ran the number so I quit pulling the covers off. At the end of the season, they were only .002 off. It just depends on how aggressive your cam is and how good the rockers hold. A buddy used the same brand rockers I did but ran a 610 lift flat tappet and couldn't keep it adjusted at all. It backed off on every single freaking pass. New set of locks or rockers didn't help....

#8 ·
I'm running a Lunati solid roller with .590 lift, I pulled the covers twice, a month apart, had one needing adjustment, and it was fat from the start. I ran it on the street all last summer, no adjustments were needed. Just checked getting ready for summer...all good.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
I used Harland Sharp roller rocker arms in two 455 Pontiac engines and they were knockers. In an attempt to eliminate valve train noise, I replaced the Comp Cams so-called "anti-pump up" lifters in both engines with now discontinued Melling JB-951R limited travel lifters (Ram Air IV) and set the lifter preload at .005". That quieted the lifter noise considerably. However, no adjustment I made could eliminate the roller rocker arm noise. I will never use roller tip or full roller rocker arms again unless the valve lift exceeds .550" and valve spring open load is in excess of 350 lb. and that is not going to be likely.A camshaft with those specification eliminates the use of roller tip rocker arms.

#13 ·
I had a 1965 Chevrolet 30-30 camshaft in my 1959 Chevy Impala with a 1965 327 engine and it was a daily driver. I installed a new over-the-counter 1965 327 CI short block in my Impala. When I installed the new engine, I initially set the valve lash at .030" intake and exhaust and checked the lash again about four months later and the lash was still .030". I checked the lash two years later just before I sold the car and the lash was still 030" . The engine had Joe Mondello prepared 461 heads, slightly used Crane valve springs set up with 100 lb. seat pressure at 1.700" and 290 lb. open pressure at .485" lift using 3/8" screwed-in rocker studs. I was also using stock rocker arms. The screw-in studs kept the lash at .030".

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
I always run the lash tighter than called for- it increases your actual seat duration slightly but it also quiets it up a lot. You can get cams ground with a "tight lash" opening ramp, needing as little as .010-.015" lash. The tighter it is the quieter it is- go too tight and you backfire or burn a valve seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.