Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   solid roller cam noise (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/solid-roller-cam-noise-135949.html)

cope 03-28-2008 03:12 PM

solid roller cam noise

do mechanical rollers make alot of noise i have one in my camaro with .025 valve lash. u can hear the roller rockers ticking but it seems like when u put your ear down by the fender well u can hear alot of noise coming from the cam. is this normal or am i mistaken and its just the rockers

Double_v23 03-28-2008 03:22 PM

yes they make alot of noise, what you are hearing is the .025 lash.

Holder350 03-28-2008 03:24 PM

solid rollers are abit noiser than a hyd one.........

however they require constant relashing of the valves.

and that may be your problem. a higher lash will make more noise.

cope 03-28-2008 03:41 PM

how offtin should i adjust them i was told every oil change and i do it while the engine is hot. this is my first soild cam

Bowtie man 03-28-2008 03:46 PM

In it a sweet sound!!!!

crankshaftkid 03-28-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cope
how offtin should i adjust them i was told every oil change and i do it while the engine is hot. this is my first soild cam

I had a .660 lift solid roller in a race car and pulled the covers off about 6 weekends in a row. It needed adjusting only the first 2 and after pulling them for the next 4 weekends and not needing any adjustment, I ran the car for about a month and it still didn't need anything. The car always ran the number so I quit pulling the covers off. At the end of the season, they were only .002 off. It just depends on how aggressive your cam is and how good the rockers hold. A buddy used the same brand rockers I did but ran a 610 lift flat tappet and couldn't keep it adjusted at all. It backed off on every single freaking pass. New set of locks or rockers didn't help....

cope 03-28-2008 04:02 PM

its a .550 lift

Quote:

Bowtie man In it a sweet sound!!!!
what i like is that most people are going to be like dang there is someting wrong with that car but the gearheads are going to be like man that sounds good

68NovaSS 03-28-2008 04:14 PM

I'm running a Lunati solid roller with .590 lift, I pulled the covers twice, a month apart, had one needing adjustment, and it was fat from the start. I ran it on the street all last summer, no adjustments were needed. Just checked getting ready for summer...all good.

Dajerseyrat 07-28-2014 02:11 PM

I just got my solid roller fired up and after a bit of driving about 4 of the valves were way off. mos others were close or within spec. It does sound like something is wrong with the car to an untrained ear...Like a tickity tickity sound..

F-BIRD'88 07-28-2014 03:15 PM

Set the lash COLD .004 to .006" less than the cam card hot lash spec.

You can set the valve lash quite a bit tighter and it
Will be quieter at idle.
Like .008" to.010" tighter.

Do not go more than .004" looser.

Most people set the lash too loose.
If the hot lash is.025" hot , try .016" to.018" COLD.

Be sure to use the ic eo method.
Try it. Post your result. Quieter now?

It is a lot more painfree to set the lash cold.
You won't mind doing it.
Set lash once or twice a summer driving season.
(5000 mią)

MouseFink 07-28-2014 03:16 PM

Roller rocker arms are more noisy by design than stock GM type steel ball fulcrum rockers. I chased valve train noise for a year before I was told to take a look at the roller rockers.

F-BIRD'88 07-28-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holder350 (Post 950146)

however they require constant relashing of the valves.

This is misleading snd NOT TRUE.

Needs *periodic* relashing.
Much like changing the oil or lubing the door locks and hinges.
Big difference between constant and periodic.

Are you constantly changing the oil?

F-BIRD'88 07-28-2014 03:24 PM

The Scorpion roller rockers are much quieter than others I have heard.
Even with solid cams.

F-BIRD'88 07-28-2014 03:36 PM

What cam is it? What rockers?
It is very hard to set the lash "HOT".

Thats why I do it and recomend the COLD
Method.
When you have a good, painless method,
You don't mind doing it and get a consistant
Good result.

When you learn the sound of the motor when the lash
Is set right, you will know when it needs adjustment
By the sound.

MouseFink 07-29-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 (Post 2501241)
The Scorpion roller rockers are much quieter than others I have heard.
Even with solid cams.

I used Harland Sharp roller rocker arms in two 455 Pontiac engines and they were knockers. In an attempt to eliminate valve train noise, I replaced the Comp Cams so-called "anti-pump up" lifters in both engines with now discontinued Melling JB-951R limited travel lifters (Ram Air IV) and set the lifter preload at .005". That quieted the lifter noise considerably. However, no adjustment I made could eliminate the roller rocker arm noise. I will never use roller tip or full roller rocker arms again unless the valve lift exceeds .550" and valve spring open load is in excess of 350 lb. and that is not going to be likely.A camshaft with those specification eliminates the use of roller tip rocker arms.