Solid Trans Mount? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2003, 08:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Solid Trans Mount?

I'm running solid motor mounts and a midplate to tie my cage into on my T. Should I use a solid or rubber trans mount? I don't know if it matters but I'm running a four link and my driveshaft is 15" long.

Thanks

[ April 26, 2003: Message edited by: KA67_72 ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

If I understand your statement correctly; you have solid motor mounts and an engine plate (mounted to the rear of the engine and attached to the frame). If this is correct, you do not need any transmission mount. As a matter of fact, if you did use a trans mount and the alignment was off even slightly, you would end up breaking something. Probably the trans because you would have three distinct rigid mounting positions.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:30 PM

First of all, I don't understand the solid motor mounts and motorplate "tieing my cage into my T". Please explain.
I think you should have a PLAN B in your book of drawings. This should include plans measurements, etc. for the installation of proper motor mounts and a transmission mount for the first week after you get that wild l'il car running and take a ride in it. Be sure to include a really comfortable seat in that bad boy, you'll need it.
Liked your first effort at metal forming, you've got some good things goin' here, with practice and more experience you'll be a real craftsman.
As I've repeated more than once on this forum, Buckets can long distance and every day drivers if they're built right. Even in a radical configuration like you've got, I think you can pull it off. If it's just a weenend night cruiser comfort be damned BUT think about the looks when you drive it 1 or 2 or 3000 miles to a major rod run....just a thought!
Old 04-26-2003, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

I just uploaded another picture which might help explain what I'm doing. You can see the solid motor mount and the begining of my midplate. There are going to be tubes running from the front of my cage, through the firewall, and mounting to the midplate just above the tranny. The car is going to be driven hard so I want to make the chassis as stiff as possible. If I ever finish the car, it will see plenty of miles. The sound of a turbocharged big block and a noisy quick-change is all the comfort I need.

Thanks for the reply,
Kevin

[ April 26, 2003: Message edited by: KA67_72 ]</p>
Old 04-26-2003, 08:43 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Frankly, I'd run one of those Energy Suspension poly jobs in there. They're stiff as hell but they will give you just enough wiggle not to tear stuff up. T's get really bad traction. Once you get a good drive train trajectory and alignment, I'd worry more about tire wear then I would U-joint problems. With a 15' drive line I'd explore the idea of a constant velocity front joint.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Are you talking about the double cardan CV joints I see in lifted trucks or a ball type. I got the trans in the chassis today and set the car at ride height. The driveshaft is going to be at about 15 degrees.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 04-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Either one will probably be a smoother power transition then nothing but a standard front universal joint.. If you decide on a CV, since your drive line's so short, I'd try the shortest application first. The double one will probably handle more torque though..

In that small of an arena, anything to help keep the horses from fighting each other over real estate is worth going that extra mile for.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.