Solvent Pop ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 08:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Solvent Pop ??

I am painting a truck in pieces for a guy. Working on a wheel well right now. Alot of bondo work, blocking , poly primer, 2k hi-build, sealer, base black, clear.After many hours of bodywork came out beautiful. Applied 4 wet coats Concept 2021 clear. Wet sanded 1000,1500,2500. Buzzed over it with Da 3000 and 4000 abralon. Polished with 3m swirl remover and black foam. Didnt need to compound came out very glossy and slick. PROBLEM in a area 20-25 white specks, about the size of a point on a needle. Actually looks like light dust until you try to wipe it off . Not really visable unless you are about a foot or closer. Could it be solvent pop??? I waited 30 minutes between coats 75 degrees. Touched paper around it between coats and the clear was not stringy. Wanted to give solvents time to escape. I used DCX61 hardener and a medium reducer. Is it possible I waited too long between coats ??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Kind of sounds like the gun spit something out during base or trash in the base and when you sanded it. it knocked the top off of it . I'm not saying thats what it was but its certainly possible. Did you notice any nibs in that area prior to wet sanding it???
Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

It is solvent pop and it might get worse within the next 30 days. Some clears don't like a 4 coat application and some colors are worse than others-black is the worst for trapping solvet.

Sand it with 1000 and let it set in the sun for awhile if possible then shoot another coat of black and three coats of clear, use a slow reducer this time around and let the base set at least an hour before you clear. Also give the base a good 20-30 minutes between coats.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

baddbob, I let the base sit about 20 hrs before clearing . Do you think if I had waited longer than 30 minutes it would not have happened ?? Should I wait say 45 minutes ?? I am spraying the clear wet , no runs or sags. Three coats sufficient to start sanding with 1000 grit ?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Three coats will be fine, most collision shops using that clear only apply two.
20 hours before clear?-that base should have been good and purged of solvent so your base isn't the cause. High humidity will also factor in. Was the clear going on really thick? If humidity wasn't high and the clear was going on slick and not heavy then I would have to guess that the solvent was a little fast or the 4th coat caused the problem. You might wand to give your PPG rep a call and quiz him as to what he thinks caused the problem-your supplier will have his phone number.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM

Last journal entry: More photos
Last photo:

Solvent Pop

It may be moisture, I have seen this before. especially is it is in "clumps". I used to use a sharp moisture trap and a disposible filter at the gun. I finally stepped up to a three stage dessicant dryer and no more specs. Black is the worst for solvents due to the heavy pigment.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

I will stick to 3 wet coats of clear with 25-30 minutes between coats. I might have sprayed it a little heavy ( no runs or sags ) . The clear mixes 4-1-1 and I added a little more reducer maybe an extra ounce or two. Temp about 75, looked at the humidity guage but dont remember it being really high. Seems like I heard someone say urethanes are not affected by high humidity ??? I drain compressor regular , have galvanized piping up and down wall about 30 feet from compressor to air connection. Water trap at compressor after it coils thru 15 ft hose. At the air hookup 30 ft away I have a Sharpe I believe 88 model trap followed by a M60 toilet paper type holder, followed by a cheap glass trap bought at lowes. Also a disposable trap on the gun. What brand three stage dessicant dryer do you have ?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:04 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

if you had peel in the area it may just be whats left. it will look like solvent pop. you may just need to sand a little more and buff.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 AM

Last photo:

I went back and sanded with 1200 pretty good and its still there, I am concerned I might break thru clear. Wet with wax and grease remover disappears until it dries. I am thinking solvent pop and wet sanding dust is in the small pin holes, it looks like the finest needle specks. I mistook it for dust until it wouldnt wipe off. Only noticeable with in a foot or so. Mainly concentrated in one area about 4in x 6in. I know I have to make a decision soon, Thanks.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

It is solvent pop for sure. Clean is well, sand it with 1000 and reshoot with one coat of base and three coats of clear, get a slower reducer.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 AM
'67 Deuce

Last photo:

I had a similar problem this last weekend. After reading the posts to this thread, I'm almost positive my problem was water. I just ordered a good air dryer. Thanks for all the good info. on this thread!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for everyones help .
Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I had a similar problem with the nightmare it was black with 6 coats of clear, spray 3 and then sand with 1000 grit. There were white specs that required sanding through the clear to get to. Once that was done and I recleared 3 more coats on the car and colorsanded 1000, 1500,2000,2500,3000 and then buff it looked awesome. The paint I used was Chromabase 99K and 7900 Chromaclear.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Finally got back around to working on wheel well. Decided to resand with 600 grit , applied 2 coats base black and 3 more coats concept 2021 clear. No solvent pop looks a lot better, except one white speck in center of wheel well. Sanded with 1000 and 1200 . smaller but still there. About twice the size of the point on a needle. I quess the only choices, keep sanding and hopefully it comes out, blow thru and respray, leave it alone ???? Give me some advice ??? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

tough call without seeing it.... Sounds like a speck of something landed in the clear? What coat did you notice it? If it happened on the last coat there is a good chance you'll be able to remove it with sanding and buffing. Another alternative is to drill it out with a needle drill and dab the spot with a drop of clear then come back a day later and sand and buff it flush-crude but it works sometimes.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.