Solvent pop immediately with base? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 06:23 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

It would either be the paint or the air supply,Your paint is top notch so it must be the air...
try a small (bulb type) gun filter.new hose,drain the tank,check the filters and replace the elements and decisents....You do have filters ,Right??? This may be about the dumbist question yet ,but theres no oiler in the system is there???pull the line where it connects to the tank and stick your finger in there, the check the lines after each filter...sounds like an old oily air supply that needs a good cleaning...A problem I've had is with those cast aluminum filter canisters is them corroding and blowing crap in the supply,They need to be cleaned up and have the inside repainted

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
I could also simply be an air borne contaminate and you did nothing wrong. It could be something being sprayed into the air near you like car wash or a WD-40 being put on a bike chain at your neighbors house.

I have seen this happen, it happen to me once. Never did find out what was causing it after months of problems, it simply stopped one day.

Brian
Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I could also simply be an air borne contaminate and you did nothing wrong. It could be something being sprayed into the air near you like car wash or a WD-40 being put on a bike chain at your neighbors house.

I have seen this happen, it happen to me once. Never did find out what was causing it after months of problems, it simply stopped one day.

Brian
One of the worse offenders is ArmorAll , I hate the stuff.

Vince
Old 10-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
I have spoke of this fisheye battle I had before. We are talking the most vicious fisheye you have ever seen, NOTHING could stop it. No spray technique, no paint additive, NOTHING. I never did find what was causing it. But I literally couldn't paint in my shop for a couple of months! I was farming out my collision paint work and didn't paint any custom stuff that whole time. But SOMETHING was hanging around that shop, I checked the near by shops to see if they were doing anything different. They were all buddies of mine and they worked with me on the problem. There was a couple of auto repair shops, a muffler shop, structure electric company, machine shop and a camper repair. I searched and searched and never found what was causing it. I would paint jambs and crap like that and just deal with it, but farming out everything else. Then one day, it was gone.

Brian
Old 10-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Last photo:

You neighbor applying ArmorAll to his tires on a windy day can wreck havoc with paint work next door or a couple of doors over. That stuff carries on the wind for longer than you would think. I was told by a painter who used to work with a custom shop in the are that a few years ago ArmoAll shut down all painting the shop for several weeks before they got rid of any trace of it. He also told me that he threatened the lives of any of his employees if he ever saw any trace of it on their tires or anything.

Vince
Old 10-02-2010, 05:26 PM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Keep in mind that if your compressor did pass any oil, then that air hose
is contaminated for good.
It ,ight be a good isea to get a new hose ever so often.

P.S. I know everyone will cringe at this but "Fish Eye Remover"
does work. And if you paint over something that has used it before,
you'll have to always use it again.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Your booth filters can get contaminated right along with everything else and are often overlooked when diong a search and destroy misson,they'll contaminate the air as it is coming in ,if they get that silly cone (armor all) on them...We had a car that was so bad ,just touching it when you got in to move it would give you problems all day,when you got in the car you could taste it when you breathed,you couldnt wash it off your hands at all..we ended up leaving the car outside ,painted all the new parts then bolting them on outside...it never came in the shop at all..."Quarantine"...and still it caused many problems..I swear it looked like the car was dipped in a tank of armor all ,even under the hood was dripping wet with the stuff..It'll attach itself to dust particals and travel around the shop creating havoc everywhere it goes...the only thing that stuck to it was sand and dirt...
.....................................VERY NASTY STUFF..................................
But that problem looks more like a crator (fisheye)..... When you get little bumps showing up and they go right down to the primer ,its something getting "mixed" into the paint before it comes out of the gun...Many times water and oils in the paint wont show up until it gets in the sun and warms up and cools down a few times....

Last edited by deadbodyman; 10-03-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
It would either be the paint or the air supply,Your paint is top notch so it must be the air...
try a small (bulb type) gun filter.new hose,drain the tank,check the filters and replace the elements and decisents....You do have filters ,Right??? This may be about the dumbist question yet ,but theres no oiler in the system is there???pull the line where it connects to the tank and stick your finger in there, the check the lines after each filter...sounds like an old oily air supply that needs a good cleaning...A problem I've had is with those cast aluminum filter canisters is them corroding and blowing crap in the supply,They need to be cleaned up and have the inside repainted

Thanks for the replies guys. I have filters at the compressor (no oiler) base of gun, and fans. I sprayed SPI clear Saturday morning and didn't have any issues.
My plan is to change the filters and air hose, then do another test.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.