Hot Rod Forum banner

Some beginner questions about the Fel-Pro FPP-1003

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DoubleVision 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a pair of Edelbrock cylinder heads at Summit in Ohio, and bought Fel-Pro FPP-1003 head gaskets with them. The guy at Summit recommended these gaskets for me, and I'm sure they will work fine. But as a beginner I have some questions:

1. When I look at the bores they are not completely round. Several parts of the circles are straight. What's the purpose with this?

2. The gasket bore is 4.166", while my block (Goodwrench 350) is a stock 4". Is it common to oversize the gasket bore, and why?

Here's a picture from the Summit site:

See less See more
#2 ·
as for the bore not being round just about all head gaskets are made this way, why, I`m not sure. As for the bore size, it`s so the gasket can be used on any bigger bore small block. The stock GM head gasket had a little over a 4 inch bore size and can`t be used with a overbored engine as the gasket would hang over the edge of the bore. Since Fel pro had no idea where the bore size would end up, they made the bore this size to cut manufacturing costs and also so it could be used on many small blocks. The 400 gasket which has a 4.125 bore from the factory has the same coolant passages as all the other small blocks, except it has steam holes between the cylinder, since this gasket is for a 350 it don`t have the steam holes, but if you compare the 400 gasket to it, it`s identical, except the 400 gasket will have steam holes, another way to keep the cost down since all they have to do is take the same gasket and punch in steam holes to make it work on a 400.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.