Some carb/intake advice for a 283? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Some carb/intake advice for a 283?

I have a stock original 283 with a 2bbl.
I was looking into swaping it to a 4bbl this summer. People had told me I would want a smaller carb like a 500cfm or even under that,But the thing is I plan on doing a engine swap Next year and dont really want to buy 2 new carbs and would really like to get a nice one now then pull this one and put it on my new 383 next year.
I was plan on going with this set up now for the 283
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-71014/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-18064/

So I had this question going on another site and people gave me pretty good responses and opinions,For the most part people said it will work fine as is,someone else said it will work but I should get a calibration/metering kit for it to adjust for the 283.
I also dont have a lot of know how with carbs,but from what I read this metering kits is just a part change out,to restrict and or add fuel flow? and easy to do?

Anyway I just figure I would try a new site and see what other think before I place a order. Thanks!
"Sorry if this post doubles,I had some pc hicups and not sure if it posted or not"

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Because your running a 283 I recommend a different approach. You have to remember, you have small cubic inches, low end torque is important on small cube engines. What helps develope low end is velocity. I recommend a standard edelbrock performer. The performer rpm is really meant for more high revving and on the street that's something you don't do much of.
As for a carb I recommend the Rochester Quadrajet. The Q-jets small primarys give you excellant low end manners and fuel economy due to the small primaries. When performance is needed the massive secondaries are there to fill the need. With a Q-jet you don't over carberate or under, it's air dam design feeds the engine what it demands.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

IMHO even though the intake and carb are mismatched for your 283 buy them, put them on and save a few bucks and use them on your future 383.
Wouldn't be the first time someone's done that.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Thats my point,People said the quadra is the way to go,but I dont feel it would be the best choice for the 383 in the future.
Im just wondering what to expect with this setup on the 283,will it run ok and without problems,or will it just not run good at all with constant flooding or back firing etc?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quadrajets were used on everything from 4.3L V6s to the mammoth 500 cubic inch Caddy V8s. They'll feed a 383 no sweat. Buy a cheap iron 4bbl intake manifold off craigslist and run the Q-jet on the 283. When you decide to step up to the 383, you can spend money on an intake manifold suited to your build.

To be honest, whats so terrible about leaving the 2bbl on the 283? If you're going to take it off to use on a 383 later down the road, why put it on in the first place? Save the carb some undue wear and just run what you have till you can build what you want.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7
Quadrajets were used on everything from 4.3L V6s to the mammoth 500 cubic inch Caddy V8s. They'll feed a 383 no sweat. Buy a cheap iron 4bbl intake manifold off craigslist and run the Q-jet on the 283. When you decide to step up to the 383, you can spend money on an intake manifold suited to your build.

To be honest, whats so terrible about leaving the 2bbl on the 283? If you're going to take it off to use on a 383 later down the road, why put it on in the first place? Save the carb some undue wear and just run what you have till you can build what you want.
Sounds right to me.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Sounds right to me.
Absolutely right.

The stock 283 w/2bbl would not really perform better with a 4bbl. The 2bbl is matched to the engine's valves/cam/etc, in fact the 4bbl would probably create drivability issues (although the rochester would be more forgiving).

Save your money and match the new carb/intake to the 383's build. I like the holley and/or the edlebrock (carter) carbs for tuning. But for bolt on and forget it, most rochester carbs would work very well. Try to match it to your class of car (like GM A body) with a similar displacement engine, and factors like transmission and gearing included.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.