some chevy 305>350 retrofit questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2003, 04:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question some chevy 305>350 retrofit questions

hi.
earlier today I happen to come across this site when I was searching for some info on vortech heads. I spent as much time at work here as I could. Great source of info!

I have a '89 Caprice with the L03 5.0L motor and 200r4 tranny and 3.08 open rear end.
It's my daily driver but comming from a LT1 modded Caprice I miss the power and want more 'oumph'.

I need this thing to be very streetable and pass emissions (I'm in Illinois if that matters), basically a daily driver that when I enter the freeway I don't have to run the red light.
I'm thinking of buying a shortblock from a '92 pickup. I was told it's a 4bolt main. I want to stay with a TBI setup. I was planning on reusing my stock heads and intake manifold but I'm so amazed at what I found about vortech heads, especially here > modifying 305 motor
that I've decided to go with summit racing part number
NAL-12558060 for 259$
or this link > Jegs direct link each but was told by my mechanic tells me I can get them cheaper from my buddy at a GM dealership.

I'm thinking of this intake manifold

I know I'll need to use bigger injectors but can I reuse my stock 305 TBI setup? Also very important will my stock fuel pump handle this? Can I reuse my stock flywheel from the 305 motor?
As far as exhaust I'll have a 'Y' pipe, single cat, after cat another 'Y' and two pipes out the back. Will 2 1/4 exhaust be adequate, if so I could reuse my 2chamber flowmasters I have.
As far as the cam I forgot what my mechanic told me to use but it won't be too radical. I think he says '845' cam but I may gotten that confused with the cam for my LT1 caprice he suggests.
He says with 1.5 RR I should be fine as far as emissions go.
I have an autoXray portable scanner and with that I'd like to scan for codes and such. With that in mind will I still be able to use the xray? When you configure it it asks for year of car and vin so it configures itself for the right motor.

Can I reuse my 3.05 alternator? I new water pump will go in, will all the accesories bolt up the same?

Any suggestions, tips?

Oh, forgot. I'll be using a 700r4 tranny from a '91 bubble caprice with a stock TC.

Any clue what kind of torque and HP I can get from this setup?

If this is a long post I apologize, this is my 1st day here and 1st post; thanks !!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2003, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

Externally the engines are the same, all your accessories will bolt back on the 350, use a 350 or aftermkt throttle body, the flywheel is the same.
Beware just because it came from a pickup truck doesn't mean the block is a four bolt. After 1987 4-bolt blocks are very rare, used only in Heavy Duty truck applications. Pickups, even the one ton types were all two bolt ,cast iron crank engines. PULL the PAN!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:11 PM

the motor right now is pretty bare, no oil pump and no pan.
also I'm buying it from a guy I got a car from few months back, originally he was gonna put the motor into when he still had the car.
anything else?
TIA

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.