Hot Rod Forum banner

Some guidance on painting soft interior parts

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
Guys,

I'm trying to paint some new windshield pillar trim for my 70conv GTO and I'm having trouble getting the paint to stick. The paint is from Kolor Korrect and is formulated for interior parts. This trim is soft so any manipulation of the trim after it's painted results in the trim bending and the paint just flakes off. I initially coated the trim with bulldog adhesion promoter as instructed but that had no effect. I just finished coating it with interior primer to see if that improves things but thought I would ask you guys. Appreciate any assistance.

Mike

#4 ·
How are you cleaning the parts? Scrubbing them with ScotchBrite, very hot water and TSP is my usual process. Once that is done keep them clean and oil free until you get the paint sprayed.
Mark

#6 ·
Just washing with HOT water and some Dawn will remove any oil or mold release. Use ScotchBrite rather then sandpaper. Much better as it conforms easier and gets into the nooks and crannies.
Wipe the parts down with wax and grease remover right before spraying.
Mark

#9 ·
You need to use what the manufacturer of what you choose to re-color with recommends to clean and prep the surfaces. SEM recommends their own brand of cleaners and prep products. Not doing that almost insures failure. I have never had a problem using SEM products by following their instructions.

#11 ·
I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, only to follow manufacturer's recommendations for whatever you use.

Yes, Fusion works well on hard plastic parts, but he said what he's painting is soft, not hard. SEM products are not paints or dyes, but flexible coatings that are absorbed into what is being colored, and are a much better solution for soft parts.

#12 ·
Well... I have to say the Fusion is working well on soft flexible parts for me. My truck is a '95 GMC and it has a flexible rubber cup holder in the dash on the passenger side. I sprayed that with Fusion 15 years ago and it is still holding up. All of the hard plastic I sprayed with DuPont BC/CC at the same time and it still looks good. :)
I think we just need to agree that most of the products out there work well as long as the parts are cleaned and prepped correctly. :)
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.