Some help with a BBC plan please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Some help with a BBC plan please

I am trying to plan a big block engine for a 55 pontiac vintage style drag car. It will not really see any street use, just more for looks and the odd street car racing at the strip. I have never done a big block but I want to keep it on a tight budget and make decent power, nothing too wild. I found a complete mid 70's 454 so I wanted to rebuild the shortblock and use a solid cam. What are the best old heads to use? Any other suggestions? The car has a 9'' with 4.10's and a th400.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 03:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

A *yawn* BBC in a "fill in the blank". Sorry, but a '55 Pontiac would- in MY eyes- be much cooler using a Pontiac engine.

But, yeah, I know- the BBC is easier, maybe a little cheaper, more power, etc. But damn, does every car to come down the pike gotta have a Chevy engine in it?

049-type open chamber heads make decent power, use rectangle port heads if you gear for them and use a loose converter, solid cam w/a bunch of duration, 850 CFM-plus open plenum intake, spray it if you feel like it.

And a couple cups of coffee.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Ya I know a pontiac would be way cooler but here is the catch, it is a canadian pontiac so the majority of the car is 55 chevy stuff and the plan is to actually put a glass tilt 55 chevy front end on it and leave the back a pontiac...It will be loud and maybe a little ugly in grey primer but I think it will be neat and make some people look twice. The doors and frame etc is identical to chevy stuff. Thanks for the info on some casting numbers I will keep my eyes open for a set.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Your mid 70's smogger 454 should have the #781 or #049 heads on it.
These are the most desirable oval port heads.
If so, genorously home port them and install 2.19x1.88 valves.
Machine the valve guide tops for higher lift clearance and new seals+ new dual springs. Pay attention to the spring installed height. Some of these heads had wacky spring pocket depth.

O deck the block, use KB257 +26cc dome pistons. Minor clearance grinding on the edge of the combustion chambers may be required to fit the piston domes to the oval port combustion chambers.

The cr will be 10:1 with a 119cc head volume.

Crane F326-2 "Fireball" solid cam Crane #134261 Low lift
or Crane Saturday Night Special F-290-2 #134691 Higher lift
Scorpion 1.7 roller rocker arms.
Edelbrock Dual plane Performer RPM #7520 Dual Quad, high riser manifold- two 750cfm #1407 edelbrock carbs. 2 2" to 3" open carb spacers. The more carb spacer height on this manifold the better.
The 55 chev/pontiac has lots of carb/hood clearance.

Big tube 2"+race headers Use a 10" B&M "3600 stall" converter You'll get about 4100 stall behind a 454 with this converter. Just right.
A edelbrock dual quad nitrous kit on this combo in 110 gas will upgrade this combo to "take no prisoners" mode.

Lock out the mech spark timing curve. This one likes full max timing at idle (38deg) 28-32 for nitrous)

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 08-26-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.