some help building a 396? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

some help building a 396?

ok, so this is by no means an immediate project, just somthing i was thinking of doing in the future. i have an available bbc 396 and it is completley stock, so i guess what i was wondering what a good way to go for building a reliable engine with a good amount of power. when this projet does come around in the future if the money is there how can i get good power out of the motor? i would rather spend more money on good parts than cheap parts that are going to fail quick. even if the project is delayed to buy some good parts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 AM

Rebuild

I suggest first just get the block bored out and cleaned and ****... then, if money isnt an issue, grab a nice set of heads (maybe trickflow or brodix), decent cam and crank... also, ive noticed by doing certain things to your intake like adding a turtle in the plenum can seriously increase hp and torque. All depends on the money you want to spend though. I mean if you had a crap load of money you could get that engine to 500/550 (approx) no problem... just money is always an issue
Old 05-21-2009, 04:57 AM

Last photo:

Probably the best aftermarket head you will get for a 396 is the edelbrock head. All other aftermarket heads for BBC I have seen have open chambers and you probably won't find an open chamber piston for the 396, .....depends on what kind of compression you are shooting for.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

need to give more information.

gear ratio, trans type, is mpg important?, is a smooth idle important?, are you willing to use a high stall converter?

pure street car? street strip, just race?

what are the head casting numbers? 820's are typically on 396's and are good heads.

I would look for a 454. I did the 396 build (413 cid) because I had it sitting under the work bench. That was a big mistake. My 454 (468 cid) makes more power, gets better mpg, and cost the same to build.

Might be a good idea to build the 396 to stock specs (cheap), add a little cam, then bolt on a small blower. Should be able to make 500hp/500 ftlbs and keep it street friendly.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM

well the tranny is a turbo 400, it has a 12 bolt, 3:08 gears but i think there is a 12 bolt with 4:10 posi lying around that i was thinking would be better. i do have an available 454 block that has been sitting in the weather for some time and needs to be align bored because my uncle spun the bearing. would that mean a different crank with bigger journals? and yes probably just a pure strueet car to go cruise around in that has a good amount of power. i like the sound of a choppy idle. i have a holley 750 double pumper carb that i could use too if it would be a good carb for what i would be building.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

if you align hone, you just need oversized bearings, your crank might be trash too then, i'd just get a new one. after the work and labor you put into fixing a STOCK crank, you could just buy and aftermarket one built for more power for not that much more.

i'd just machine the block
buy a complete rotating assembly,
send a cam request in to comp,
balance it.
have your 820's worked and decked with some valvetrain to back it up
use your holley and get a nice manifold and call it a day.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 PM

well my uncle did completley dissasemble the motor and just left it out so yes all i have is a 454 block to start from. so sinse it is rusty from top to bottom would i have to get it decked? then align honed, and maybe bored. by that point would i be better off to just find a 454 block on craigslist or somthing?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 PM

If you want a street car that will make good power, you want to focus more on low end torque... things like valve timing can effect that tremendously. what kind of intake do you have? ( Single plane, dual plane, single high rise or dual high rise?) you can put whats called a turtle in the plenum which helps keep airflow at a constant speed
Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

?? Would that be a Tarpin or Snappin Turtle??
Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 PM

so at this point i have nothing but an available rusty 454 block and block only. but i also have an available 396 that is stock and complete. but if the 454 would be a better investment in the long run then thats the path i will choose. ya i looked that turtle up and i have never heard of that until "dabowtie" mentioned it. seems pretty cool. what intake would be recommended for street use? right now im just looking for plans i guess. to see what people think, because im still learning a lot. and just wondering what more experienced engine builders think. so thanks in advance and for the past info. it helps alot.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 PM

Intake

Edelbrock has some nice intakes that arent too expensive... try checking those out. And ya the turtle does make a HUGE difference, and you can make it out of styrofoam and some sort of paint that will harden it. Very cheap
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 PM

what intake would you recommend? single plane, dual plane, high rise?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 PM

Intake

Honestly i would say dual plane because its better for low rpm power and throttle response
Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM

would a 496 be a good way to go with the 454 block?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:04 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68sscamaro
would a 496 be a good way to go with the 454 block?
Just like w/the popular 383 SBC from a 350, the 496 is a popular choice.

If you are w/o any crank, rods or pistons, I'd have to say, "Why not?"!

With an engine that size, the line between a single or dual plane blurs some. But the dual plane will favor below 4500-5000 RPM, the single-plane will come on more above 4500-5000 RPM- but there will still be enough torque w/the single plane intake that it may not be missed. Might actually help you to hook up, traction-wise, for that matter.

If I had to choose an intake I would pick an Eddy RPM for a dual-plane, maybe a Victor Jr. (w/turtle ) for a 360 degree intake.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.