Some ideas on shooting big panels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Some ideas on shooting big panels

Here is one way to handle spraying big cumbersome fenders that are all one big welded unit. The inside and outer wheelwell are all body color, so painting these things can be a bit difficult. They are very hard to lay out on saw horses as it is not very square with bulging wells. So hanging up is probably the best way to get nice wet edges all around. Hope this can help someone down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5545.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	92466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5547.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	92474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5548.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	92482   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5544.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	92490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5552.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	92498  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Those 55 fenders are looking great,,I also hang mine and I try to get them at same level from the floor, and don't hang the fender from the front hang it from the top . it seems to keep the bottom section from turning out a lighter shad especially with metaliacs. may just be in my head but it makes me think it works,
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Good call Dennis, that's the only way to do it properly...I've also have it set up so I have hooks on the ceiling and on the floor (the floor hooks are almost like the old pots they put into a floor for pulling frames...but smaller) so I can suspend the part from the ceiling and anchor it down on the floor. Nothing pisses me off more than trying to paint a little part or a light fender and it's spinning and flopping around in the breeze from the paint gun. I get a much more accurate amount of paint on, I have less problem with not getting edges....and my favorite...when I'm done, my left hand isn't the color of the parts I painted because I had to hang onto them.

This way I can use regular mechanics wire much more effectively as well. If your painting a lot of pieces on a frame off, you'll know what I mean and...this works great.

Ray
Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Good call Dennis, that's the only way to do it properly...I've also have it set up so I have hooks on the ceiling and on the floor (the floor hooks are almost like the old pots they put into a floor for pulling frames...but smaller) so I can suspend the part from the ceiling and anchor it down on the floor. Nothing pisses me off more than trying to paint a little part or a light fender and it's spinning and flopping around in the breeze from the paint gun. I get a much more accurate amount of paint on, I have less problem with not getting edges....and my favorite...when I'm done, my left hand isn't the color of the parts I painted because I had to hang onto them.

This way I can use regular mechanics wire much more effectively as well. If your painting a lot of pieces on a frame off, you'll know what I mean and...this works great.

Ray
Yeah I know what you mean about parts moving from the gun as your spraying. What I do with the small stuff when hanging from the ceiling, is I then hang another wire from the bottom of the part, then hold that wire as I spray, and it keeps that part from moving and I don't get paint all over my hand.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Those 55 fenders are looking great,,I also hang mine and I try to get them at same level from the floor, and don't hang the fender from the front hang it from the top . it seems to keep the bottom section from turning out a lighter shad especially with metaliacs. may just be in my head but it makes me think it works,
When I hang doors this way the bottoms want to lean toward the inside making the painting of them very hard because your trying to spray on an extreme inside angle. What I do is get something heavy, like an old battery, then run a brace to the inside of the door until it is hanging at a 90 degree angle to the floor. So this way you keep the gun at the same angle from the top of the panel all the way to the bottom, and this does help keeping all the color uniform right to the very bottom edge.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
Here is one way to handle spraying big cumbersome fenders that are all one big welded unit. The inside and outer wheelwell are all body color, so painting these things can be a bit difficult. They are very hard to lay out on saw horses as it is not very square with bulging wells. So hanging up is probably the best way to get nice wet edges all around. Hope this can help someone down the road.
Good salution. Looks good

I have a set of saw horses I made that are about 24 inches high and about 4 feet long. I can attach a verticle upright on the end which will support the fender in the verticle position as it would be on the car which has also worked well for me.

It also allowed me to sand the fender without mounting it on the car.

John
Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Guys, these are all good tips and pointers, need is definitely the mother of invention...I can just remember having the paint booth loaded wit parts from the size of small bracket to a pile of washers...I hated it, not the painting part but the hanging and how hard it was to get everything even...this site has given me more ideas to make my life in the booth easier...and a better finished result....gotta love it.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
John long (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
When I hang doors this way the bottoms want to lean toward the inside making the painting of them very hard because your trying to spray on an extreme inside angle. What I do is get something heavy, like an old battery, then run a brace to the inside of the door until it is hanging at a 90 degree angle to the floor. So this way you keep the gun at the same angle from the top of the panel all the way to the bottom, and this does help keeping all the color uniform right to the very bottom edge.
I do this method too but I still don't think it works well. The part still ends up blowing around, just not as much. In fact I don't plan on hanging anything again unless it's a real heavy part.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
I do this method too but I still don't think it works well. The part still ends up blowing around, just not as much. In fact I don't plan on hanging anything again unless it's a real heavy part.
You can hang the door from the ceiling and rest the bottom on a support to keep them vertical but steady. This is not the "right" way but is another way.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i have rollers made to mount things to. everything in my shop is on wheels .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door ready.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	667.1 KB
ID:	93858   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender ready.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	679.9 KB
ID:	93866  
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
John long (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 08:18 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I spray all my bumpers hanging from the ceiling.
the trick is to have 3 separate supports from 3 very
different angles, spread way out.
You don't want the supports from straight above.
That way it doesn't sway.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.