Some motorcycle questions. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 02:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Some motorcycle questions.

Hey all long time sence my last post.

I have been thinking about geting a motorcycle mainly to ride back and fourth to work. I got this idea after talking to my friend who has a bike and hearing that bike insurance dosn't have to be that expensive if you get the 6 month coverage.

Obviously sence I'm from ohio I'm only going to be riding this bike in the summers.

I guess what I need to know is what you guys think of this idea? I'm mostly doing this to save some cash on gas and of corse to have a bike.

I'm a biger guy 320 so I need some thing that will be able to handle me. Dosn't have to be fancy, dosnt have to be prity, dosnt have to be new. It dose have to be very cheap though.

Actualy I would prefer some thing a bit older so any work that needed to be done could be done by me.

If any one has any bike segestions for me or knows some one who has one they want to sell realy cheap around central ohio let me know.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

A lot will depend upon the distance of your commute, surface streets or expressway, etc.

In general: A guy your size, forget any of the smaller "commuter bikes" like a Honda Rebel. If you are trying to go on the cheap, figure on a used Jap bike, maybe from the 80s. Conventional style, (not a ricerocket such as a Ninja, CBR, Katana, etc) You can find a decent bike in the 500-1200cc range from any of the usual suspects. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki all made tons of them. There are a surprising number of them under tarps in garages all over. Just like cars, look for original paint, good tires and brakes, no leaks, all lights in working order, listen carefully to the engine at idle, avoid those that click, rattle, knock, etc. Look at the drive chain if so equipped, see if the adjusters are all the way back (stretched and worn chain, they aren't cheap) check for lateral deflection of the chain too. Check battery voltage KOEO and KOER, make sure that the charging system works. If the bike has been sitting for a while, count on rebuilding the carb(s), replacing the battery, changing the oil, adjusting the valves, adjusting the clutch, cleaning all grounds and electrical connections and lubricating everything that moves.

Anything from a Yamaha XS-650 to an early Honda Goldwing could work out for you. If the bug bites, you can flip it in a year to another guy in a similar position and buy a newer or even new bike that fits your riding style and needs. Don't buy a new bike until you have been riding for a year or two. You will have a better idea of what you really want, and if you are going to do something dumb and dump the bike or wreck it the chances are that you will do it in the first year of riding. (Might as well screw up an old beater) Take an approved AMA or MSF riders course before you jump back in the saddle, no matter how much you've ridden before.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:12 PM

Gold Wing

I have a nephew that weighs 350. He rides a 1100 Wing with no trouble. I own a 84 1200 Wing that I have almost 150,000 on the meter. They are reasonably priced and very dependable. A 86 or 87 Wing 1200 would make a good daily rider. If you find one with 60 or 70 thousand on it. It probably has another 100 in it.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:36 PM

Thanks that info will be a good start. The comute to work is relitivly short 15 min at most and is 85% highway driving. Now when I say I'm on a budget I'm talking like 300 bucks or so at this point so I'm not sure what if any thing I'm gona be able to find in that range but I know alot of times people have old bikes siting around they want to sell so who knows.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:58 AM

Last photo:

The replies you've gotten are right on , but I don't think you will find anything you can use in the $ range you indicate .
Old 05-02-2006, 01:05 AM

Yea if I do I'm beting it will be from some one who has one just siting around and would want to help me out. Word of mouth kind of thing.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:27 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

the first scooter i bought was a '78 honda cb750k that i got for $250 at a local bike shop. it had been layed over, needed new handlebars, and a carb cleaning from having sat so long. ran great.
lately, i've been thinking about another one....
a guy i work with, rides a little kawasaki dual purpose bike, he says that the payment and insurance on the bike are still cheaper than what he was paying for gas in his truck. and this conversation took place at last years gas prices....
Old 05-02-2006, 03:37 AM

Good to hear about people geting good deals. Maby I will be able to land some thing like that.

I love my car but ever buck I save on gas can go back into the car or computers or what ever.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

A bike can be found for $350, but you may be looking a long time. If you can scrounge up $1000, you could be riding in a couple of weeks. In most cases, if you find a $350 bike, you will have $1000 into it before it's a safe rider. Remember, a flat tire at 50 in a car, you carefully pull over. A flat tire on a bike at 50, there is a good chance that you will go down, at 50 even with skid-lid and protective gear, you will be busted up badly, and possibly, dead.

General Idea on costs to make a bike safe: Tires, tubes and rim flaps, cheap chinese tires: $70 each, plus mounting and balancing. Quality tires $120 and up each. cheap chain $100, Carb rebuild, $50/hr plus parts. brake pads or shoes, F&R $60, battery: $40-$100 depending on the bike, Stator for charging system: $75 and up. If you do your own work, you can save some, but for $1k, you can find one that is already ben gone through, or one that is a survivor relic that may only need tires, if that. A little part time work, sell some extra stuff or parts, you can save $1k fairly quickly.

Right now, in my area I know of 5-6 bikes from a beater Suzuki to an early Wing for $1K or less, all safe riders. But I don't know of a single rider for less than $600. (I'm very involved with bikes, two of my closest friends own shops, one for Brit and Jap, one for V-Twin heavyweights) You might try a bike salvage yard, sometimes you can find something that's rideable but needs work for cheap. If it's a common older bike with a low demand for used parts you can usually snag it cheap, if you bring cash.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

See if Hemmie will sell his 900 kawasaki to you, he found one for a hundred bucks. I'd look for something 500 c.c.'s plus, check out ebay for listings in your area. Dan
Old 05-02-2006, 05:51 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Yea I just got a great deal on a 79 Kawasaki KZ1000 for 100 bucks.
It had been setting in a garage for a few years and Ive already ordered new points and the carbs will probably need cleaning, but it should be a neat ole ryde when its done.
Get on Ebay and see what they got on there. Were bouts in Ohio are ya? Hg

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 PM

I'm just east of columbus in newark ohio. I go into columbus all the time though. I like the storys about geting decent bikes for a good deal. Main thing is the bike needs to be safe but it can look like crap for all I care so long as it is reliable.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I've been considering one too, I weigh only 135 so something smaller would do. My dad has a cb 750 with long forks, sittin in the back of the garage forever. Dunno why he doesnt ride it, and with those forks it sits too high for my lack of height.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:39 PM

lol well convince him he needs to sell it for cheap then we will work on finding you a bike hehe.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:01 AM

Last journal entry: 67 camaro project

Last year, I picked up a '86 Suzuki vs 700 w/'95 800 motor. 60,000 miles on frame, about 25,000 on motor. Paid $1,000. I thought it was a good deal. Had to fix a few minor problems. It hauls my 225 lb body around very well.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.