Some pictures of my doors - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 12:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Unstable, looks like you and I are at the very same stage of the game (door skins). Except my doors, fortunately weren't as rusted as yours. I only had to butt in a two inch strip on the bottom of one and the other one just has a couple small pin holes to weld up.
I have some of that POR-15 sittin on my shelf. I'm just going to use it on the inside. Anyway, since you already put it on the outside, I just wanted to let you know (in case you don't), POR-15 now is offering a primer that they claim is compatible and will stick to it. So if that's true, you might be able to coat your doors with their primer, then put your filler on top of that.
I dunno, just a theory.
As far as that grey suede look, I was wondering if grey paint with a flattening agent would work.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

the doors are actually in really poor shape, I have some pictures of the bottoms of them, but didn't bother posting them because I think everyone gets the idea.

I'll have to check into the POR primer...maybe with some luck it will have that nice grey suede look.

Post some pics of what you're doing, I'd love to see. I think I am going to try to document this rebuild a little better from now on. I just wasn't sure if I was going to have to scrap this door when I started getting into it, so I didn't want to take pictures of it to remind me what a screwup I am at times.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

I only have this one pic right now. The frame and driveline are pretty much complete (it fries tires real good). Now I'm busy with the body work, which I'm finding out that the more I learn, the less I know.
Posting pics is a bear for me because my home pic program won't let me resize them so I have to email them to work then resize them, then I can post them. What a pain. It don't look a whole lot different now than when that pic was taken, so as you can tell, I still gotta long row to hoe. The cab ain't too bad, but the bed must've run into the same bondo artist your truck did. One of the stake pockets was caved in and filled with a huge slab of plastic, and all the wood is rotten, etc..
It'll never be a show truck, but I never really intended that. I just wanna drive the damn thing! Cruisin season's comin up fast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myeffie1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1333  
Old 03-04-2004, 05:50 PM

Last journal entry: Got the backside done (more or less)
Last photo:

The POR-15 folks make a body filler called " Straightline" that is specifically designed for application over POR-15. Claim its best because it "has 30% more resin". Seems to me that if they make a body filler for POR-15 then others would probably be OK over it too. That said, like Unstable says, everyone has an opinion and mine is that I would never use POR-15 for anything except area's where I cannot get rid of all the rust. Just no reason to. Epoxy primer is just the better choice on bare metal.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

just to reiterate, I do appreciate everyone's opinion...I've just kind of headed down this path and I'm going to continue and see where it leads me.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

Unstable, I talked to a friend of mine that used POR-15 about two years ago, and it's still lookin good. He says he actually saturated some glass cloth and patched holes in some fenders on one of his cars. Says he treated the inside of the fender with phospho, slathered POR-15 all over it, then layed glass on it, and more POR over that. Then he used regular filler on the outside. But he says the trick is sanding it. Says getting sandpaper to bite into it is hard work. I think you'll be OK with it though.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.