yesterday i purchased a 350 L98 out of a 87 GTA. The owner could never get that thing run properly, he thought it has some mechanical issue, but then again he's a moron.. removed the motor to put it into his garage and never looked at it again, thereby killing an otherwise fine 350 GTA..
At any rate, i told him i want that block since it looked to be a 1pc rms roller block from the numbers (638), which is exactly what i was looking for (hard to find over here as you can imagine). So went there to rip it apart to the shortblock for my future 350 build yesterday. It has about 100k miles on it, looks pretty nice from the top so you can still see the crosshatch etc, but haven't pulled the oil pan to look at the bottom end. So i'm pretty sure it was a fueling/spark issue bugging that car which is exactly what i told him before he started to kill the GTA
Anyways, here is what start out with:
- The car is a '89 Firebird Formula, stock 305 TBI, with 2055 shorties and 3" from collector back with a highflow Catco in between.
- Has a 3.27 9bolt right now and 700R4, but looking to put the 350 in with my T56 and some shorter gears possibly since the lower T56 gears are a bit long imho, and still have the 0.5 OD for superoverdrive
- DynamicEFI EBL Flash ECU, gonna add PFI mod to this.
Parts kicking around:
- AFR 195cc #1040 castings seem a bit older, but were sent to AFR a while back for CNC porting, bigger valves, etc for something similar as the super competition jobs they have now. bought them used so don't know the whole story and need to inspect them as well
- TPIS MiniRam (1205 ports iirc)
- LT1 T56 rebuilt and beefed up, and a DXD stage something clutch kit
Looking for something like 350hp for now and redline at 6k, but dunno what the stock L98 bottom end is capable of, so thought i'd ask the experts
-? I'm going to inspect and refresh the motor some. i was thinking all bearings and piston rings, maybe some ARP bolts (main, rods) if need be to reach my goals.
-? I think the 195 are a tad on the big side
-? Dunno what cam would be a good choice, maybe something like the LT4 hot cam.. also i was wondering what CR i could run
Thanks in advance for any and all advice!