Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Somebody is doing things wrong with lead, how do I get through to him?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Thanks Guys

I've made up my mind, I'm going to get the hang of this whole picture posting thing.

Dan...Thanks for the link to what Jon posted...I've been busy today but will go through it step by step...when I get a bit more time.

Brian...the picture you posted was the one that I was trying to post...thanks..I had to get it done in California...LOL...That's what the Orange truck looked like before I put the transparent Orange over top. I wanted to post that in the custom painting thread...How do I do that? LOL

Malc...I feel better after you posted that it might be Photo bucket and not me...I know it's me...the check is in the mail anyway.

Well, I spent a few hours trying to learn how to post pictures and this is the closest I've come. I actually got the bolt cutters off of my Avatar...that's a start.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the information seminar on using an English Wheel was well received and did have a few surprises. We had 29 people the first night and 30 the second. I told them that there where people that could do amazing things with an English Wheel (as well as other tools) and that I, by no means claimed to be an expert. I made it very clear to everyone that attended that this wasn't going to be an in-depth course and that it was going to be a "how to" session using basics.

I started off by explaining how metal reacts under different conditions and demonstrated on a 12 X 12 piece of 24 gauge sheet metal showing how putting it through the English Wheel gives different curves in the metal. I used several different Wheels (anvils) to show the different patterns that it made, proper tracking techniques, overlap and explained how these patterns would be used in forming metal to get the correct multiple curves needed out of a standard piece of sheet metal. I answered a few questions and that took us to the break.

During the break, a fellow came up to me and complimented me on explaining things in terms that where easy to understand (I thought to myself...that's the only way I know how to explain...LOL) I talked to him for a few minutes and finally asked what kind of car he had and he told me, he had a 28 Essex Coupe. I asked what he did for a living and he told me...he had been a machinist for the past 36 years. I swallowed hard and asked "why would you come to this information seminar?" He told me that he hadn't used lead in so many years that he had forgotten what he did know and wanted a refresher course but, if I thought it would help, he could bring in some sample pieces he had made on the English Wheel for the next evening. I told him absolutely.

The rest of the first evening was spent answering questions while the people where watching the pre-made repair panel being welded in. I was actually surprised how many people thought that welding a panel would be done in one continuous weld and a lot of time was explaining why the welds where moved around to avoid warping the panel. Everybody got to run their metal through the wheel and then they broke off into groups of six and proceeded to butt weld 2 pieces of metal together and for the most part, warp the panels beyond recognition when they first started...LOL. My new found Machinist College and I showed them how to straighten it out and weld in a more metal friendly manner. I got out of there real late.

The following evening, the welds on the old Buick where dressed, with fans going and bay doors open we started leading, explaining cleanliness, tinning, leading and then working the lead. I think we used about 90% to 95% less lead than would have originally been used. Some people tried it but most people just wanted to watch and ask questions.

Then the machinist brought in some samples of what could be done on an English Wheel and brought a straight piece of aluminum with him, in minutes that piece of aluminum was formed, shaped and perfect, one side to the other.

I found it amazing how fast this artisan could mold metal, I understand why he brought aluminum and he admitted that it was easier to form but what he did in a short time would have taken me hours...if I could have done it at all. I was honored that he made an appearance let alone showed what could be done...and yes, I got it on video.

The two evenings where a success, thanks in a big way to my surprise machinist guest. My good friend now has a proper repair done on his car, many more people in the hobby have a better understanding of what it takes to restore a vehicle and I think I made a great contact that I can learn from and may have an Essex to paint in the future. So, all in all, I would do it again, even though it put me behind a bit in my schedule.

Over the next few days, with help of another member of the club running the camera, I hope to edited the video from just over 7 hours of footage to about 15 minutes...I'll be the guy with the goatee standing beside the guy that, as Randy put it, knows a few tricks on the English Wheel.

Ray
Great news Mr.Ray..

Can't wait to see it.... I won't say to much anymore...accused of being a nay sayer here for trying to help someone here...(Not on this thread) Funny how they come here asking for help, And I come to help others,,, I give my time here,,,,, But it's all good,,
So I guess I'll just go back to posting pictures..

Good job Mr.Ray.. Keep up the good work..