Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Somebody is doing things wrong with lead, how do I get through to him?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Randy, as I mentioned , I feel I'm a better painter than a metal worker...The vehicles that you saw pictures of where cars that I did from start to finish, metal work ( repair, making repair panels welding, etc), body work, prep and paint that I did for these vehicles. I can get metal straight and make panels, I am slow at it...I do take my time but, they fit. I'm sure if it was a situation where I was working with shaping metal more often, my speed would increase, for mow, I'm doing what I need to do to get through the day and make sure they fit.

The 68 Firebird was the first of the two vehicles the business partner of the Chevy 1/2 ton short box I did. The customer's, both great guys but, they talk to to other people in the trade and the easier thing for other be to say is "if I where you....and it should be done by now". This caused some friction between the owner and my self so he hired two journeyman body techs to do the cab and get it ready for paint...Randy, I was pissed. They put over 30 hours and got the car "ready for paint". Randy, I kid you not...it was a disaster. To much filler all over the cab, high spots from dents and a roof that was oil can real bad...they put on 3 coats of PPG high build primer, no DP40 Epoxy and told the owner "see, the cab is good to go. I good the third degree, I was accused of milking the project just to get more hours in...I let it go. Then I started blocking..it was a disaster..and I'm happy to say...I took pictures for the customer and now I know how to post them. It took me more time to repair the less than respectable body work and get it in shape for re-priming.

As it turned out, one of the hero bodymen was let go, (the other guy was awesome all he did was rough out a few dents and told the other guy to work the metal more before he used any filler, he had other jobs and only put in a few hours). I posted a few pictures after this hot shot body guy screwed up the truck). I started blocking with 600 wet for about 5 minutes...ran my hands across the panels and went to 180...the whole cab needed to be reworked. The roof with the oil can, I had to remove the filler, get rid of the oil can and do some straightening work. I hate having to redo other peoples work but, in the end it was my name on the truck. But the pictures show the poor workmanship..the owner and I had a few words, I showed him the pictures...and a funny thing happened...the owner and I started getting along much better after that...LOL.

This is the first time I'm showing pictures of what I had to do...hope it works. Oh, the picture on the right is the roof, it took a skim coat of filler..before I had areas over a 1/4 inch deep.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cab...when told cab was ready for paint.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	73579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Roof.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	73580  

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 04-26-2013 at 08:19 PM.