Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Somebody is doing things wrong with lead, how do I get through to him?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
Yeah Ray, adoption leaves too much of a paper trail -- better to just leave them by the side of the road!

I painted a Cutlass for a friend. Took it from oxidized gray to beautiful black. I was quite proud of it. He got a lot of compliments on the car after that. Kept it 3 weeks then sold it! If I had known that I would have turned down the job. I spent longer than that getting it prepped.
I hate that more than you know. I had a friend of a friend come to me years ago with a 70 Firebird (You know how much I love I love my Pontiacs). It was a decent car, a bit of rust but very respectable. He went on and on about how much he loved the car, always wanted one finally found one for a reasonable price ($750) and how little money he had. I listened as he told me that if I could just patch it up and paint it he would be forever grateful but he only had limited funds.

I cut out the rust, repaired the quarters, blocked the car until it was as straight as an arrow. When he picked up the car he was overjoyed and again told me how he had always wanted one and just loved the car. He paid me the agreed upon amount (which basically covered materials), drove off into the sunset.

Two weeks later, he auctioned the car off for almost 10 times what I charged him. Did he have a change of heart, no, this was his plan the whole time...was I pissed, still am.

Ray