Somebody is doing things wrong with lead, how do I get through to him? - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Okay, that's the first time I got a picture to post. I'm not 100% sure what it is off, but, I think it's the Orange Chevy Short Box I did, before I applied the Orange mid Coat....For some reason, when I click on it, I can't get it to enlarge...I'll keep on trying.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Hey Guys...As I mentioned...things went well, with a few surprises to say the least. I will post the way things unfolded a little later. For now I am committed to trying to learn how to post pictures...I'm gonna need to learn how to do this if I'm going to post a video...LOL.

I've been trying to figure this out and what I have learned is I have no idea what the difference is between an HTML and a JPEG...so here is about a 4th attempt this morning...Hope it works.

Randy, I've got some editing to do, after all, about 7 hours of video and I want to only post the stuff that means anything.

Ray
if you use i movie I got a great video for you to watch to set up the parameters up right for youtube. I have to relocate it though on youtube.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Try again with the picture
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

jpeg+photobucket+ copy and paste the last option for links. They give you four different e-languages to choose from and the last one works for this site.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
if you use i movie I got a great video for you to watch to set up the parameters up right for youtube. I have to relocate it though on youtube.
Thanks...I need help here without a doubt. I've never watched a you tube video let alone tried to up or down load one. I'm not just a computer idiot, I think I'm bordering on Moron...LOL. Just for practice, I'm trying to post a picture of the short box when the ghost flames where a raw blue did before I mid coated the transparent Orange. I think that's the picture I want...but can't get it to expand.

Thanks again

Ray
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

your limited when trying to post pics directly to the site due to bandwidth, or something of the sorts. i tried to do it before and mine wouldn't even load due to pixels in the camera settings. at photobucket you can post huge pics and it doesn't limit the pics and how large they can be on this site, but if you try to load directly on this site it will either limit the size or not even load at all. photobucket is free and easy to set up. just need an email addy and follow the link and all that crap.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks again....here's another try...if this doesn't work, I'll try the photo bucket thing.

Ray
Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Tried the photo bucket thing...took me almost an hour, damn I feel like an idiot, here is a photo bucket URL of the picture I tired to download here, it's expanded so it shows that it can be more than a thumb nail picture, I clicked and dragged about 8 or 10 pictures...I hope this works.

BlueTruckAirbrushedFlames_zps8c286c29.jpg Photo by 69Widetrack | Photobucket
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

As far as posting pictures and videos, check this out widetrack, Jon put it together: How to post pictures and videos on Hotrodders.com BTW, HTML has nothing to do with pictures. Jpegs, Mpegs etc. are what you need to deal with. You need to re-size pictures to go under the 3KB size limit for each picture. You can re-size pictures with the software that came with your camera.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Quote:
Tried the photo bucket thing...took me almost an hour, damn I feel like an idiot, here is a photo bucket URL of the picture I tired to download here, it's expanded so it shows that it can be more than a thumb nail picture, I clicked and dragged about 8 or 10 pictures...I hope this works.

BlueTruckAirbrushedFlames_zps8c286c29.jpg Photo by 69Widetrack | Photobucket
Ray, if you go to the link that you posted you will see a white box with "Image Links" above it. Go down the the one that says "Img Code" and click on the URL in the box. You don't even have to "right click" on your mouse or anything. Just click on it and it will disappear and a little the word "Copied" will appear. When that happens you have copied that URL. Simply go to where you are posting the photo and "paste" that URL. I will do it below but put a few spaces so the photo won't appear and then below that I won't put that space and simply paste that "IMG code" URL and your photo will appear.

[URL =http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/69Widetrack/media/BlueTruckAirbrushedFlames_zps8c286c29.jpg.html][IM G]http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p700/69Widetrack/BlueTruckAirbrushedFlames_zps8c286c29.jpg[/IM G][/UR L]

There you go.

Brian
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Photobucket is not very user friendly at the moment.
Some days I can upload, others I just have to give up.
Get so far as picture uploaded but then it can disappear into whatever folder.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Guys

I've made up my mind, I'm going to get the hang of this whole picture posting thing.

Dan...Thanks for the link to what Jon posted...I've been busy today but will go through it step by step...when I get a bit more time.

Brian...the picture you posted was the one that I was trying to post...thanks..I had to get it done in California...LOL...That's what the Orange truck looked like before I put the transparent Orange over top. I wanted to post that in the custom painting thread...How do I do that? LOL

Malc...I feel better after you posted that it might be Photo bucket and not me...I know it's me...the check is in the mail anyway.

Well, I spent a few hours trying to learn how to post pictures and this is the closest I've come. I actually got the bolt cutters off of my Avatar...that's a start.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the information seminar on using an English Wheel was well received and did have a few surprises. We had 29 people the first night and 30 the second. I told them that there where people that could do amazing things with an English Wheel (as well as other tools) and that I, by no means claimed to be an expert. I made it very clear to everyone that attended that this wasn't going to be an in-depth course and that it was going to be a "how to" session using basics.

I started off by explaining how metal reacts under different conditions and demonstrated on a 12 X 12 piece of 24 gauge sheet metal showing how putting it through the English Wheel gives different curves in the metal. I used several different Wheels (anvils) to show the different patterns that it made, proper tracking techniques, overlap and explained how these patterns would be used in forming metal to get the correct multiple curves needed out of a standard piece of sheet metal. I answered a few questions and that took us to the break.

During the break, a fellow came up to me and complimented me on explaining things in terms that where easy to understand (I thought to myself...that's the only way I know how to explain...LOL) I talked to him for a few minutes and finally asked what kind of car he had and he told me, he had a 28 Essex Coupe. I asked what he did for a living and he told me...he had been a machinist for the past 36 years. I swallowed hard and asked "why would you come to this information seminar?" He told me that he hadn't used lead in so many years that he had forgotten what he did know and wanted a refresher course but, if I thought it would help, he could bring in some sample pieces he had made on the English Wheel for the next evening. I told him absolutely.

The rest of the first evening was spent answering questions while the people where watching the pre-made repair panel being welded in. I was actually surprised how many people thought that welding a panel would be done in one continuous weld and a lot of time was explaining why the welds where moved around to avoid warping the panel. Everybody got to run their metal through the wheel and then they broke off into groups of six and proceeded to butt weld 2 pieces of metal together and for the most part, warp the panels beyond recognition when they first started...LOL. My new found Machinist College and I showed them how to straighten it out and weld in a more metal friendly manner. I got out of there real late.

The following evening, the welds on the old Buick where dressed, with fans going and bay doors open we started leading, explaining cleanliness, tinning, leading and then working the lead. I think we used about 90% to 95% less lead than would have originally been used. Some people tried it but most people just wanted to watch and ask questions.

Then the machinist brought in some samples of what could be done on an English Wheel and brought a straight piece of aluminum with him, in minutes that piece of aluminum was formed, shaped and perfect, one side to the other.

I found it amazing how fast this artisan could mold metal, I understand why he brought aluminum and he admitted that it was easier to form but what he did in a short time would have taken me hours...if I could have done it at all. I was honored that he made an appearance let alone showed what could be done...and yes, I got it on video.

The two evenings where a success, thanks in a big way to my surprise machinist guest. My good friend now has a proper repair done on his car, many more people in the hobby have a better understanding of what it takes to restore a vehicle and I think I made a great contact that I can learn from and may have an Essex to paint in the future. So, all in all, I would do it again, even though it put me behind a bit in my schedule.

Over the next few days, with help of another member of the club running the camera, I hope to edited the video from just over 7 hours of footage to about 15 minutes...I'll be the guy with the goatee standing beside the guy that, as Randy put it, knows a few tricks on the English Wheel.

Ray
Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OKAY...I left my reading glasses at the thing last night and went out half way through this post and bought a new pair...Now that I can see things close up again, I have no idea what that picture is on my Avatar nor did I ever take a picture of anything like that...I think I like the bolt cutters better...LOL and still don't know how I got those cutters up there.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks Guys

I've made up my mind, I'm going to get the hang of this whole picture posting thing.

Dan...Thanks for the link to what Jon posted...I've been busy today but will go through it step by step...when I get a bit more time.

Brian...the picture you posted was the one that I was trying to post...thanks..I had to get it done in California...LOL...That's what the Orange truck looked like before I put the transparent Orange over top. I wanted to post that in the custom painting thread...How do I do that? LOL

Malc...I feel better after you posted that it might be Photo bucket and not me...I know it's me...the check is in the mail anyway.

Well, I spent a few hours trying to learn how to post pictures and this is the closest I've come. I actually got the bolt cutters off of my Avatar...that's a start.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the information seminar on using an English Wheel was well received and did have a few surprises. We had 29 people the first night and 30 the second. I told them that there where people that could do amazing things with an English Wheel (as well as other tools) and that I, by no means claimed to be an expert. I made it very clear to everyone that attended that this wasn't going to be an in-depth course and that it was going to be a "how to" session using basics.

I started off by explaining how metal reacts under different conditions and demonstrated on a 12 X 12 piece of 24 gauge sheet metal showing how putting it through the English Wheel gives different curves in the metal. I used several different Wheels (anvils) to show the different patterns that it made, proper tracking techniques, overlap and explained how these patterns would be used in forming metal to get the correct multiple curves needed out of a standard piece of sheet metal. I answered a few questions and that took us to the break.

During the break, a fellow came up to me and complimented me on explaining things in terms that where easy to understand (I thought to myself...that's the only way I know how to explain...LOL) I talked to him for a few minutes and finally asked what kind of car he had and he told me, he had a 28 Essex Coupe. I asked what he did for a living and he told me...he had been a machinist for the past 36 years. I swallowed hard and asked "why would you come to this information seminar?" He told me that he hadn't used lead in so many years that he had forgotten what he did know and wanted a refresher course but, if I thought it would help, he could bring in some sample pieces he had made on the English Wheel for the next evening. I told him absolutely.

The rest of the first evening was spent answering questions while the people where watching the pre-made repair panel being welded in. I was actually surprised how many people thought that welding a panel would be done in one continuous weld and a lot of time was explaining why the welds where moved around to avoid warping the panel. Everybody got to run their metal through the wheel and then they broke off into groups of six and proceeded to butt weld 2 pieces of metal together and for the most part, warp the panels beyond recognition when they first started...LOL. My new found Machinist College and I showed them how to straighten it out and weld in a more metal friendly manner. I got out of there real late.

The following evening, the welds on the old Buick where dressed, with fans going and bay doors open we started leading, explaining cleanliness, tinning, leading and then working the lead. I think we used about 90% to 95% less lead than would have originally been used. Some people tried it but most people just wanted to watch and ask questions.

Then the machinist brought in some samples of what could be done on an English Wheel and brought a straight piece of aluminum with him, in minutes that piece of aluminum was formed, shaped and perfect, one side to the other.

I found it amazing how fast this artisan could mold metal, I understand why he brought aluminum and he admitted that it was easier to form but what he did in a short time would have taken me hours...if I could have done it at all. I was honored that he made an appearance let alone showed what could be done...and yes, I got it on video.

The two evenings where a success, thanks in a big way to my surprise machinist guest. My good friend now has a proper repair done on his car, many more people in the hobby have a better understanding of what it takes to restore a vehicle and I think I made a great contact that I can learn from and may have an Essex to paint in the future. So, all in all, I would do it again, even though it put me behind a bit in my schedule.

Over the next few days, with help of another member of the club running the camera, I hope to edited the video from just over 7 hours of footage to about 15 minutes...I'll be the guy with the goatee standing beside the guy that, as Randy put it, knows a few tricks on the English Wheel.

Ray
Great news Mr.Ray..

Can't wait to see it.... I won't say to much anymore...accused of being a nay sayer here for trying to help someone here...(Not on this thread) Funny how they come here asking for help, And I come to help others,,, I give my time here,,,,, But it's all good,,
So I guess I'll just go back to posting pictures..

Good job Mr.Ray.. Keep up the good work..
Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

That does sound like the evening went great - very happy that worked out for you and your buddy. I have watched a couple of videos of Ron Covell, and have considered trying to take one or more of his metalworking classes. It is amazing what a skilled craftsman can do with an English wheel. Can't wait to see you video!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.