Somebody is doing things wrong with lead, how do I get through to him? - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I understand what you mean Randy, it is difficult to please everybody, no matter how hard you try. I don't know which thread you're referring to but sometimes it seems a little overwhelming when you do your best and the appreciation isn't there. A fellow at the seminar a few nights ago was a little upset that we didn't totally finish the repair panel...in primer. That's what he wanted to see and felt that he didn't get what he came there for when it was never advertised that we would do everything but paint it. The owner of the car invited him to come watch when the car was being primed. He was happier but, you could tell that he wasn't satisfied...can't please them all.

Maybe, with my lack of ability to post pictures and with your ability to post pictures...maybe we should team up...LOL.

Thanks Bob, it really is amazing what tools can do for a skilled craftsman. I remember one body man that taught me how to get rid of an oil can on a roof years ago. I chased that oil can for a few days, he walked in and in 5 minutes he had the tension restored in the metal and made it look easy. For him it was easy, he knew exactly where and how to move the metal and he used the same tools that I had. What I appreciated was he took the time to explain what he did, why he did it and why it metal reacted the way it did when he manipulated it...I learned many other things from this man...and don't think I ever will get to be as good at it as he was...but this is what his passion was. My passions where in different areas and that's what I tried to focus on.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

Ray, I have a friend who is a body man with a knack for getting metal and fiberglass to do exactly what he wants. I have on occasion called him a 'metal whisperer'. It just seems like he whispers to the metal and it says 'OK' and moves. I watched him working on a hood side for a '34 coupe. To accommodate a hemi, he had to remove some louvers to make a cutout to clear the corner of the heads. Owner saw it and said he wanted louvers to go around the cutout - he did it. Owner then said he wanted more louvers, all the way up to the grille shell - he did it. Owner then said he didn't like the extra louvers, and wanted them taken back out - he did it. With all that, he kept that hood side flat and smooth, no ripples, no oil-cans. Then I watched him lay out and paint flames over all those louvers. He really is an artist. (And a patient man - I would have shot the owner!)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OKay guys...I'm trying to load pictures...if this works, it should be a close up of flames I did on a hood and the hood before cut and buffing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flames close up crossing.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	73571   Click image for larger version

Name:	hood before polishing.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	73572  
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

This is easy guys, if anybody needs help, PM me, I think I have it figured out now...LOL. Thanks guys, I know you must be thinking that I'm not to smart...well your right. I'm going to try a few more before I get back to work...Please bare with me.

Ray
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Now I'm trying to get pictures of a 68 Firebird I did...This car is the business partner of the Chev Truck...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68 Firebird 1A.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	73573   Click image for larger version

Name:	68 Firebird.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	73574  
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

These I hope are from an Old Ford I did...hope this works...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1930 Ford.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	73575   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Ford Complete.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	73576  
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I feel better now....When you do it, it's like anything else...it seems easy after...LOL

Shouldn't the picture on my Avatar be changing to?

Ray
Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
Ray, I have a friend who is a body man with a knack for getting metal and fiberglass to do exactly what he wants. I have on occasion called him a 'metal whisperer'. It just seems like he whispers to the metal and it says 'OK' and moves. I watched him working on a hood side for a '34 coupe. To accommodate a hemi, he had to remove some louvers to make a cutout to clear the corner of the heads. Owner saw it and said he wanted louvers to go around the cutout - he did it. Owner then said he wanted more louvers, all the way up to the grille shell - he did it. Owner then said he didn't like the extra louvers, and wanted them taken back out - he did it. With all that, he kept that hood side flat and smooth, no ripples, no oil-cans. Then I watched him lay out and paint flames over all those louvers. He really is an artist. (And a patient man - I would have shot the owner!)
I think your right on the money Bob when you mention patience, metal work is a procedure and can be trying...The most trying part in most everything we do in life isn't the work so much as it is the people.

Ray
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

That's some very nice work you showed there Ray! Flames look great. I really like the green on the Firebird!

The picture to the right of your login is your "last posted picture", not your avatar. You can set your avatar in your profile.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Bob, that Firebird is a PPG Tri-coat called "Tiger Eye", the mid coat is a transparent green with a product PPG calls liquid crystal. At one angle it's green at another angle it's a bronze color...I tried to get the bronze tone to show up in the pictures but it wouldn't...probably the camera I was using.

As you probably figured out, when it comes to Avatar and all that stuff, I'm clueless...to me Avatar was a blue chick in the movies...LOL

Ray
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I can't say anything yet about your metal working !!!!!

BUT !!!!!

I have to say your one D*** good painter for sure !!! WOW !!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Randy, as I mentioned , I feel I'm a better painter than a metal worker...The vehicles that you saw pictures of where cars that I did from start to finish, metal work ( repair, making repair panels welding, etc), body work, prep and paint that I did for these vehicles. I can get metal straight and make panels, I am slow at it...I do take my time but, they fit. I'm sure if it was a situation where I was working with shaping metal more often, my speed would increase, for mow, I'm doing what I need to do to get through the day and make sure they fit.

The 68 Firebird was the first of the two vehicles the business partner of the Chevy 1/2 ton short box I did. The customer's, both great guys but, they talk to to other people in the trade and the easier thing for other be to say is "if I where you....and it should be done by now". This caused some friction between the owner and my self so he hired two journeyman body techs to do the cab and get it ready for paint...Randy, I was pissed. They put over 30 hours and got the car "ready for paint". Randy, I kid you not...it was a disaster. To much filler all over the cab, high spots from dents and a roof that was oil can real bad...they put on 3 coats of PPG high build primer, no DP40 Epoxy and told the owner "see, the cab is good to go. I good the third degree, I was accused of milking the project just to get more hours in...I let it go. Then I started blocking..it was a disaster..and I'm happy to say...I took pictures for the customer and now I know how to post them. It took me more time to repair the less than respectable body work and get it in shape for re-priming.

As it turned out, one of the hero bodymen was let go, (the other guy was awesome all he did was rough out a few dents and told the other guy to work the metal more before he used any filler, he had other jobs and only put in a few hours). I posted a few pictures after this hot shot body guy screwed up the truck). I started blocking with 600 wet for about 5 minutes...ran my hands across the panels and went to 180...the whole cab needed to be reworked. The roof with the oil can, I had to remove the filler, get rid of the oil can and do some straightening work. I hate having to redo other peoples work but, in the end it was my name on the truck. But the pictures show the poor workmanship..the owner and I had a few words, I showed him the pictures...and a funny thing happened...the owner and I started getting along much better after that...LOL.

This is the first time I'm showing pictures of what I had to do...hope it works. Oh, the picture on the right is the roof, it took a skim coat of filler..before I had areas over a 1/4 inch deep.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cab...when told cab was ready for paint.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	73579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Roof.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	73580  

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 04-26-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
OKay guys...I'm trying to load pictures...if this works, it should be a close up of flames I did on a hood and the hood before cut and buffing
beautiful color...the work's not bad either. Nah, great work, man. You definitely know how to paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Here is a picture of the Chevy Shot Box getting detailed before a car show in Lake George New York If you look closely, there isn't any tonneau cover on the box...he went to Lake George, won at the show (I was told that there where between 3,00 and 4,000 cars). When he got back, he told me he wanted a tonneau cove with the same flames painted on the cover as where on the hood. This was 6 months after I painted the hood. Thank God, i keep an hourly journal of what I do and what materials and colors I used for the airbrushing on the flames...I was able to match the hood...in tri-coat.

The engine is a 502 with a more serious cam, head work, super charger....the Horse Power output is around 800. One wild truck. Sorry I forgot to post the pictures of the engine compartment. Oh, by hte way, I had the every nut and bolt off of the truck and 1,308 pieces where painted separately and the bottom of the box and cab are as shiny as the outside. I'll post the pictures of the engine and the detail inside the cab.

Ray
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Thanks Randy, as I mentioned , I feel I'm a better painter than a metal worker...The vehicles that you saw pictures of where cars that I did from start to finish, metal work ( repair, making repair panels welding, etc), body work, prep and paint that I did for these vehicles. I can get metal straight and make panels, I am slow at it...I do take my time but, they fit. I'm sure if it was a situation where I was working with shaping metal more often, my speed would increase, for mow, I'm doing what I need to do to get through the day and make sure they fit.

The 68 Firebird was the first of the two vehicles the business partner of the Chevy 1/2 ton short box I did. The customer's, both great guys but, they talk to to other people in the trade and the easier thing for other be to say is "if I where you....and it should be done by now". This caused some friction between the owner and my self so he hired two journeyman body techs to do the cab and get it ready for paint...Randy, I was pissed. They put over 30 hours and got the car "ready for paint". Randy, I kid you not...it was a disaster. To much filler all over the cab, high spots from dents and a roof that was oil can real bad...they put on 3 coats of PPG high build primer, no DP40 Epoxy and told the owner "see, the cab is good to go. I good the third degree, I was accused of milking the project just to get more hours in...I let it go. Then I started blocking..it was a disaster..and I'm happy to say...I took pictures for the customer and now I know how to post them. It took me more time to repair the less than respectable body work and get it in shape for re-priming.

As it turned out, one of the hero bodymen was let go, (the other guy was awesome all he did was rough out a few dents and told the other guy to work the metal more before he used any filler, he had other jobs and only put in a few hours). I posted a few pictures after this hot shot body guy screwed up the truck). I started blocking with 600 wet for about 5 minutes...ran my hands across the panels and went to 180...the whole cab needed to be reworked. The roof with the oil can, I had to remove the filler, get rid of the oil can and do some straightening work. I hate having to redo other peoples work but, in the end it was my name on the truck. But the pictures show the poor workmanship..the owner and I had a few words, I showed him the pictures...and a funny thing happened...the owner and I started getting along much better after that...LOL.

This is the first time I'm showing pictures of what I had to do...hope it works. Oh, the picture on the right is the roof, it took a skim coat of filler..before I had areas over a 1/4 inch deep.

Ray
I was pulling your leg Mr.Ray about the metal work,, I know you know what your doing and talking about,,,I can tell and see it..

And I also know all about fixing others messed up work... I'm not sure how someone can do custom work for someone and NOT give 100% to them...

As long as you do the work as if it's your car,, They will be very happy in the end with your work... I wouldn't want to give someone something I wouldn't want..

Always remember this... It's your name on that build...
It's either going to speak GOOD about you , Or BAD about you..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.