Hot Rod Forum banner

"SOMEDAY" has finally come!

7K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
I'm FINALLY going to get an engine built for the truck after too many years of "analysis paralysis", false starts and 100 other excuses. :embarrass It's off to the machine shop in the AM! The end product will be a 9.17 to 1 310 CID SBC using an '87 roller cam block with Speed Pro flat tops; Comp Cams XR264HR-10 roller cam, '062 L31 Vortec heads, Performer intake w/Q-jet and Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers. I could have done a 350 too but I wanted to see what I could squeeze out of a streetable 305. The cam and heads were literally a last second change. I was originally going with a ZZ4 cam and L30 heads but my SCR was going to be pushing 9.9 to 1. The ZZ4 cam gave up too much low end to a Ramjet or Vortec cam acording to DD2000 and I don't really want to have to buy premium, especially with a 34 gal. tank! FWIW DD2000 shows the XR264HR making nearly identical low end TQ to the Ramjet and Vortec cams, actually just a hair more but not enough to talk about.

#4 ·
I really don't like to quote DD2000 numbers, they don't mean much but I use it to compare potential combinations to actual builds I have done (years ago) or other real world builds. I have been able to duplicate real world results pretty closely but DD is always a bit higher. If this turns out and runs decent I may pony up for some chassis dyno time after break in. It looks that good.

Sounds like a good streetable combination.
Will the heads support the lift of that cam?
Definitely. Wouldn't want much more though.

#7 ·
Hippie, I have a Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller cam for sale that would work perfectly in your build. It's the smallest of the line, .206 duration @.050 and .500 lift. It's in excellant shape with less than 1500 miles on it. I don't have anymore use for it so I'll let it go cheap. PM me if your interested.

#8 ·
My c10 has a 305 performer cam w/ milled vortec 906 heads. A 305 for a daily powerplant is fine. Do not over cam a 305. Take advantage of its good points, the stroke and rod ratio. A big cam is going to place the band to high in the rpm range. Build the whole package to compliment. It will work well and perform.

Im set with a 3.73 gear and converter built by dynamic like the GNX style 3000stall. Very street friendly, and drives nice. Not slush box lose. A 2400-3000converter makes it fun.

260 hp is fun to cruise around and brake torque, nothing wrong with that. Plenty of good times with that.

In the recent years my 305 proved itself to last. So I supercharged it. Yowee, it has some power now at 10 psi.

Are you gonna find you an anlog girl? Did you listen to JLynne's album long wave?

#12 ·
my only question is why the machine work? Nothing wrong with a 305, but you have to scratch you head at spending money on a 305 when you can often get them for next to nothing with very little wear.

I'd just find a good cheap 305, do a "in the garage clean, hone, and rering" job on it and run it.

#15 · (Edited)
Hippie,
Sounds like a plan!
FWIW I like the Tri-Y Thorley's too. I've got a pair of 375Ys on a 350, and liked em so much that I bought another set coated to boot. The're thick enough that they don't have the "tinny" sound. There was'nt any problems with plug wires(straight plug heads), and had plenty of room near stock starter/steering.
Have 2-1/2" collector bolted to a 2-1/2" exhaust with Dynomax Sonic Turbo mufflers that aren't too loud at idle, but really make beautiful music when you floor it. Just don't do it near the Law.
Just some info you might be interested in about a couple of gaskets.
One pic is a Felpro 1406(what I plan to use), the other is a 1404. The 1404 is a bit wider in between the ports(where it might blow out), but could use some trimming at the top for better flow. Also added a pic of a copper gasket that I decided not to use, but if you like it I think I can find the PN.
I liked the 264 roller cam alot too for what looked like a great torque curve were you need it most often, but found that with a CR of 10.2:1 it would make my dynamic CR a little too high for todays gas(8.5:1)IMO.
I don't know how the Vortec ports match up with these gaskets/headers, but on my Edel. heads they leave a bit of an anti reversion dam at the bottom of the port which I liked too. Hope it helps.(testing new software for pics too)
ssmonty

Attachments

#16 ·
Thanks ssmonty, good info on the header gaskets. I have the ceramic coated Tri-Y's and they are the heaviest headers I've ever had my hands on. Personally I like that "tinny" sound you get with headers and a healthy cam, couple that with a set of properly adjusted solids and it makes sweet, sweet music. :cool: Haven't decided on exhaust yet but I've heard a couple cars locally with Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers and I really liked the sound. Cam came today, other than a few odds and ends I have everything else. Itchin' to start assembling!!!

#18 ·
Change of plan.......

Well, it appears my 305 build isn't going to happen. I didn't change my mind, the machine shop called a little bit ago and my block is cracked through the lifter valley. I'm still going ahead with the build but it will now be a 355 instead since I'm fresh out of 305 roller cam blocks and have a "hopefully" good 350 roller block. I'm kind of disappointed because I really wanted to see what I could get out of it, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and "make do" with what I have. :rolleyes:

#19 ·
Well, it appears my 305 build isn't going to happen. I didn't change my mind, the machine shop called a little bit ago and my block is cracked through the lifter valley. I'm still going ahead with the build but it will now be a 355 instead since I'm fresh out of 305 roller cam blocks and have a "hopefully" good 350 roller block. I'm kind of disappointed because I really wanted to see what I could get out of it, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and "make do" with what I have. :rolleyes:
sorry to hear that hippie, had a Tbi roller 305 in my 3rd gen camaro with a 700r4, i could sit and roast my truck wheels on the back sittin and spinning that thing up to 4500 rpms, swirl ports but that engine could just eat pavement. best vacuum you could get to, because come to think of it, i never had brake fluid, because the rear drum brakes. Itd catch a blazer doing 85 over 100 yards in 10 seconds from 45 to WOT. eventually head gasket blew while some family members were driving it (with new brakes of coarse) we disasemble it And get this. the block had a mechanical fuel pump boss. never seen such a thing on newer blocks. Especially roller blocks. then they have the head gaskets about the size of a 400s bore. can someone tell me why they put these big round head gaskets on the Tbi engines?

#20 ·
Well this just keeps getting better and better...... The thrust flange on the 350 crank is wasted. :pain::pain::pain: Not sure what direction to take now. I have to do something though, I'll drop the block off Monday and make sure it's usable then take it from there. I do have a new Scat 383 1 Pc. RMS crank and KB-135 18 cc D-cup pistons but my DCR would be in the 8.1 range with the XR264 cam and L-31 Vortec heads. It makes some impressive numbers on DD2000 though, it might just be worth having to run Premium. Stay tuned......

#24 ·
Ran into a friend of mine a couple hours ago and mentioned my dilemna. He told me he had a roller cam 350 that had been already hot tanked with new cam bearings and core plugs and the crank polished about 7 years ago that he wrapped in plastic and then buried in the back corner of his shop when he decided to go with a 454 instead. Block and crank are both still standard too. I say "had" because it is now mine. Price was cheap and I get all the peripherals including windage tray and a set of '882 heads. Not sure what I'll do with the heads but they go with the deal. Still getting the other block tanked and checked though. I'll bag it and set it on the shelf for next time.

I quickly talked myself out of the 383, it's serious overkill for what I'm doing. This is a 1/2 ton truck with an 8 Ft. bed not a drag car, anyway the 383 would just over power the rear tires and get me in trouble and I don't need any help doing that. I've managed to do that all on my own for 57 years. ;) A good friend wants all my 383 stuff and has something I need a lot worse than a 383, that made the decision even easier.

The 355 with the XR264HR-10 cam, Vortec heads and Tri-Y headers will work just fine. I had thought about getting different pistons to bump up compression just a hair but the friend with the 350 works for a large local fuel distributor and he told me that any future builds he does will be based on 87 being the "good" stuff. He told me to expect to see 85 Octane showing up in our area in the not too distant future followed by 89 and up getting harder to find in less populated areas. He is not the first person I've heard this from either. I'm smack dab in the middle of "less populated", what I'm putting together now should still run fine on 85.

As soon as I can get everything through the machine shop I'm ready to start spinning wrenches!!! :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.