Someone ejumikate me - early Ford front hubs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Someone ejumikate me - early Ford front hubs

I know 40-48 Fords used two different brake drums. One fits over the hub and the other fits inside the hub. Question.... is there a difference in the hubs or are the drums just different????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

From what I've read on Hamb, they are different. They say to use the later ones on brake upgrades. I have 40 hubs & drums (off) if you need some pics.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Centerline, I am shooting from the hip because I CRS. But there is a slight difference in the front spindles on the 40 and the 41-48. I am not sure they will interchange out right. I have seen a mix and match of the two different designs on the 41-48 so I think it is a different supplier issue instead of the not fitting/interchanging issue. If I can remember to do it, I will check some of my references when I go to the shop tomorrow.

Trees
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

CL, I read your other thread and have a better ideal as to what you are trying to do. First of all, I would not be very concerned about the stopping power of the 41-48 brakes on the light ride you are planning. I drove my 36 PU for 115,000 miles all over the country with a 39 Ford front axle and brakes. Granted, I had 57 Chevy rear brakes, but they were no big improvement over the 41-48 rears and I had an adjustable proportional valve so I could easily lock up all four if necessary. I never felt there was a braking problem at any time and I had my fair share of "panic" stops.

Regardless, I like the F100 ideal over trying for Lincoln parts. I can assure you they will be much more heavy duty than the Ford parts and will not be a simple bolt on. And talk about being hard to find!!

Trees

PS I just passed on the last full set of 41 spindles, backing plates (front and rear) and drums (front and rear) we had left over from the business coupe. Sorry, did not know.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info, Trees.

Here's my current plan. I already bought a set of 39-48 backing plates (got them on E-bay yesterday). I'm going to adapt a set of mid 70's GM big station wagon 12"x2" self energizing brakes to those backing plates. This shouldn't be too big of a task and I'll use early (39-40) style front hubs (where the drums fit OVER the hubs) which will make things easier when it comes to servicing and replacing parts. All the GM brake stuff is available at Auto Zone or Napa so parts shouldn't be a problem.

Not that I'm a big fan of the Hamb but there is some pretty good talent over there and a couple guys have done this and claim it works very well. Kind of like the Buick drum mod but using stock drums. I'll do a "how I did it" article when I'm done and we'll see how it comes out. If it doesn't work there are always the F100 or stock juice brake options.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
I already bought a set of 39-48 backing plates
There is supposed to be a difference in the 40 plates compared to late 40s??? Seems like I read that on a Hamb thread about the Chevy brakes. Someting about "voids" and "valleys" in the plates where either the shoe touches or hardware is mounted?

Put up some pics when you start getting the stuff delivered, I am scrounging too. I think I can get some 45 fins from a yard near here...as well as the chevy stuff too.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
There is supposed to be a difference in the 40 plates compared to late 40s??? Seems like I read that on a Hamb thread about the Chevy brakes. Someting about "voids" and "valleys" in the plates where either the shoe touches or hardware is mounted?

Put up some pics when you start getting the stuff delivered, I am scrounging too. I think I can get some 45 fins from a yard near here...as well as the chevy stuff too.
From what I can tell the ones you want for this swap have the little clamp piece that holds the shoe against the backing plate. That piece has to be removed and a hole drilled in the appropriate place for the "nail" and cup washer which essentially do the same thing.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.