something clever - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 06:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

something clever

A couple years ago I had an Idea that's working out. Its a place that a D.I.Y.er can bring his car and rent a bay , have complete use of body shop tools and equipment. PLUS ,one on one instruction if needed, all the while in a working body shop...kinda like a restoration or hotrod school that you learn on your own car...Things are going great and its working out. The only problem is I'm stuck on a name for the sign.
my shop is on wylds road...I was thinking Wyld cars and customs but I may have to move to a much bigger place so that wont work. Then I thought of Rent a bay DIY autobody....but nothing is clicking so here I am asking for some help. There's a lot of clever guys here and I'm sure someone will come up with something,or together we can come up with something really good.....I got nothing after all this time. So mull it over awhile and lets see what happens...I sure would appreciate the help...
Mike O.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Sounds damn interesting! I have said it before when names come up, we can be all clever and make up a name that is just a hoot, but if people can't remember it, it does you no good. Nothing is popping up in my head but I will give it some thought.

How about a twist on "School of Rock" a very popular movie, "School of Hotrod".

It doesn't say enough about WHAT YOU DO which is what a sign and name should say. It should be very clear so the reader doesn't even have to think about it.

Brian
Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Prep n' Paint Yourself

Auto Body & Spray Booth Rentals

YOU SPRAY bays by the day ,week or month

PAY to SPRAY

You Can Do Bodyworks
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
Prep n' Paint Yourself

PAY to SPRAY

You Can Do Bodyworks
I think that is the one, as simple as that. It's a bummer there is no "school" mentioned but I think that is as good as it gets.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
killeratrod (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Bay Rental

Hey Mike, The idea sounds like a good way to generate some extra income. Here are some positive thoughts.

Your "Rent a Bay DIY Autobody" says alot.
------"MyBay Auto Body Shop Bay Rental" -----my suggestion.

Here are some negative thoughts, which I know you don't want to hear, but probably need to be mentioned.

1) Will your insurance cover this type of activity at your shop?
2) Seems that there would be alot of exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals, paint, etc. Seems you would have to provide OSHA training and be certified to do so, along with providing proper respiratory protection etc.
3) If you offer training along with body shop rental and tools, could an amateur bodyman use your shop to his advantage (make money off your shop). You could be training your future competition.
4) Seems you would have to sell them the PPE required for the job because everybody can't use the same respirators, fresh air hoods, suits, gloves, etc.
5) Cost per day would need to be high to cover your liabilities, extra power usage, tool wear and tear and deter another bodyman from using your shop to his financial advantage. (I'm thinking $100 a day plus. A competing bodyman could fly under the radar with no overhead costs and basically farm work through your shop for $2000 a month based on four- five day weeks. With no obligation to lease the space.

Ok, back to positive thoughts.
Maybe sub-leasing a portion of your shop to another deadbodyman(LOL)carrying his own insurance and business name could earn just as much additional income as the "MyBay" idea.

I consider you as one of the good guys here, also a friend, so my thoughts are aimed at protecting you, CYA.

Best of luck, Nolan
Old 01-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I was part of a deal like that many years ago. We were basically a race shop who catered to the SCCA guys and had a fabrication and machine shop on premise. The guys paid for a storage of their cars and came in to do their race prep. We did have several customs and rods stored there which were taken out for runs and shows. The main source of income was the storage fees and the work we did was an extra benefit.

In Tacoma there is a a shop in a former chev dealership that is run in somewhat a similar way though they have a bit different focus. I would look for a former dealer building that has service bays, showroom and sufficient spaces to rent out for storage of cars. The body shop where I was at was in a separate building and the guy that ran that did regular collision work as well as some custom stuff on occasion. there was really nothing new and amazing about any of what we did except if you went there you might see some very exotic collector cars and some race cars that were never seen anywhere else.

Sam
Old 01-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

here this was on youtube

i found this also

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/au...nt/blogs/41118
Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
Prep n' Paint Yourself

PAY to SPRAY

You Can Do Bodyworks
You can do bodyworks.....I really like that. Short,EZ to read as your driving by and it sticks in your head. Plus gives a good description...Hmmmmm. That's pretty good killer
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
killeratrod (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN View Post
Hey Mike, The idea sounds like a good way to generate some extra income. Here are some positive thoughts.

Your "Rent a Bay DIY Autobody" says alot.
------"MyBay Auto Body Shop Bay Rental" -----my suggestion.

Here are some negative thoughts, which I know you don't want to hear, but probably need to be mentioned.

1) Will your insurance cover this type of activity at your shop?
2) Seems that there would be alot of exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals, paint, etc. Seems you would have to provide OSHA training and be certified to do so, along with providing proper respiratory protection etc.
3) If you offer training along with body shop rental and tools, could an amateur bodyman use your shop to his advantage (make money off your shop). You could be training your future competition.
4) Seems you would have to sell them the PPE required for the job because everybody can't use the same respirators, fresh air hoods, suits, gloves, etc.
5) Cost per day would need to be high to cover your liabilities, extra power usage, tool wear and tear and deter another bodyman from using your shop to his financial advantage. (I'm thinking $100 a day plus. A competing bodyman could fly under the radar with no overhead costs and basically farm work through your shop for $2000 a month based on four- five day weeks. With no obligation to lease the space.

Ok, back to positive thoughts.
Maybe sub-leasing a portion of your shop to another deadbodyman(LOL)carrying his own insurance and business name could earn just as much additional income as the "MyBay" idea.

I consider you as one of the good guys here, also a friend, so my thoughts are aimed at protecting you, CYA.

Best of luck, Nolan
Thanks Nolan ,gives me something to think about.I wasn't thinking about people trying to screw me but then again I never do and I'm always surprised when it happens so this will keep me on guard.
I have a guy renting a bay restoring a 72 alpha romao that he drove it in.
around here you can rent a storage unit and work on cars in it for about 150 a month but I told him I wanted to have the rent high enough so he'll be hard at it to get it done and not just taking up space.plus he can use all the equipment that most DIY's don't have like endless clean air supply,mig and plasma,Ewheel and most metal shaping tools ,brake,stretcher /shrinker ,bead roller..AND I'll be there to show how to do everything and use the tools which will take up my time ,so we agreed on 300.00 a mo........ looking back,after a year it seems that was a bit low...once that paint was stripped off he started slacking off and olny coming in 1-2 times a mon. but he was working and going to grad school plus married so I cut him a lot of slack...Well as it ends up he got a job way out of town and he wants me to finish it...I want to avoid this from happening again but I liked showing him metal work and he picked it up quick ,he's real handy with an eye for detail...
All and all it has been a worth while experience so I wanted to do it again with someone else.....Not just anybody, first I have to sit down with them and get a feeling from them ,not only cant I have someone steeling tools from me but I wont stand for someone elses stuff getting gone like parts....or materials...So for now I'll keep it small with 1-3 people which I have room and time for...but I may have to charge 400.00 a month to keep the fire lit under their butts....
The insurance thing.... I told him to be sure to have ins.on his car just in case anything happens...my ins only covers my personal customers ,hes basicly renting storage with benefits and free instruction...DIY...

Anyways ,If I've ever learned anything its that no matter what, nothing ever gets done unless it gets started so I'm going forward with this and I'll deal the problems as they come just like I do building cars...

Brian ,One of the names I thought of was "school of Rods" funny isn't it? How we think...half the time we come up with the same answers using the same words...
Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
I was part of a deal like that many years ago. We were basically a race shop who catered to the SCCA guys and had a fabrication and machine shop on premise. The guys paid for a storage of their cars and came in to do their race prep. We did have several customs and rods stored there which were taken out for runs and shows. The main source of income was the storage fees and the work we did was an extra benefit.

In Tacoma there is a a shop in a former chev dealership that is run in somewhat a similar way though they have a bit different focus. I would look for a former dealer building that has service bays, showroom and sufficient spaces to rent out for storage of cars. The body shop where I was at was in a separate building and the guy that ran that did regular collision work as well as some custom stuff on occasion. there was really nothing new and amazing about any of what we did except if you went there you might see some very exotic collector cars and some race cars that were never seen anywhere else.

Sam
I've been talking with my Nissan dealer about renting the building they haven't used in a few yrs it'll easily hold 75 cars inside but I don't know ,I don't want to bite off more than I can chew..I'll see how this year goes first...After all ,I'm just a simple bodyman and I want to keep it simple ,for now anyways....

You guys have been great and have thought of a few things I haven't. keep the ideas coming...this has been very helpful I'm glad I posted this....
Thanks ,I really appreciate all the help and interest

BTW,my wife says " You can do" is better than anything I've managed to come up with....
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
killeratrod (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Bay Wrench
Tools In The Box
Wrench It Yourself
Renta Box And Wrench
Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

deadbodyman and you, doesn't work for you?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:31 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

they have something like this in Rancho Cordova. The EPA snitch across the street told me about it. He says it's generally used by mobile techs to paint.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 AM

This is only for hobbiests needing a place to do the work , use the tools and needing advice and someone to show how to do the more difficult stuff. there wont be any pros using it for a place to do work...My focus will be on metal and body work not painting if someone just wants to do a paint job they'll have to look elsewhere...
I've decided I only want 2-3 people at a time to start with.
Also a small add might be best at first so heres what I came up with so far ,with all your help...Let me know what you think and if it sounds right...I think its close...

Do Your Own Restorations
at my shop
using my tools and equipment
I'll show you how
call for monthly rates.....
Old 01-30-2014, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

I don't know how you can make enough to do this. Of course if you have very little overhead it's possible.

It sure would be neat to do for people.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.