something isn't right - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2002, 07:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post something isn't right

Started the 250 OHC 4-bbl, last night I got oil coming out the oil filler tube,.Did a compression test 135 lbs all 6cylinders, no oil on plugs. but if you rev-engine and hold at 2000rpm, oil massively comes up oil tube.oil pressure is where book says it should be.don't have pcv in place yet,Hope I don't have to take apart,motor sounds to good ,how long for rings to seat?gutted a plug and put air to each cylinder,comes out behind carb.not down in crankcase.Is there a baffle at bottom of filler tube?Didn't have factory air cleaner assy this motor.this is about my 10th motor I've rebuilt myself, not much info this motor, fairly rare.I have 69 manual everything it corresponding to book stats,comp. press., oil press.why is oil coming out filler tube?All the
pictures of this motor I have show exhaust side
of motor.seems like there should be a baffle to
stop oil from flinging, like crank scraper

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: Pontiacman ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2002, 01:20 PM

I would say that the oil filler tube must be the only pressure vent and that the bottom of the oil filler is in the oil bath therefore the only way the engine can vent the bypass pressure is out the filler tube. That motor must have been vented some other way and you now have it plugged with a different manifold, valve cover or whatever that is nolonger vented. As you know, bypass pressure is normal, it needs to go somewhere, but not through the oil bath first.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:27 PM

install the PCV it will relieve some crankcase pressure or install an evacuator system.In an inline engine there is no large areas except for the crankcase so most of the pressure is located there(in a V engine there is room in the lifter valley to take up some of the pressure)so the dipstick tube becomes the vent

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.