something strange.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 04:43 PM
i think its broke...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

something strange..

heres the deal. 94 mercury tracer. heres what it is, i cannot get it out of park, and the rpm guage isnt working, and the engine strangely revvs around 2000 rpm at startup. i know this is normal, but it never did this before as long as it does now. i push the brake as hard as i can and try to get it out of park. strangely, when i turn the lights on the backup lights go on too, and its stuck in park. my brother was the last to drive it, and he said the brakes didnt want to stop. right before he took it out i was driving it and it was fine. one more thing, the little brake light doesnt come on when i pull up on the E brake. i REALLY need help guys, i really depend on this car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

kind of sounds to me like you've got two problems, brakes and shifter. i am assuming that this is a console shifter?

it sounds like somebody (ie your brother) was slamming the shifter around and maybe this is why you can't get it out of park and this might explain why your reverse lights come on, if the switch is buggered inside. this might also explain why your e-brake light doesn't come on if something else in there got banged around.

as far as the brakes not working, maybe your bro was a little too hard on the car and blew the master cylinder. anyway, if he has a job, i'd be inclined to take it to a garage and give him the bill.

JB
Old 01-23-2004, 04:55 PM
i think its broke...

Last photo:

by the way the blinkers dont work either. doesnt click or anything
Old 01-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

My 96 tracer has a small 1/2" plastic cover on the right side of the shifter. Yours might be different but there is usually an access hole somewhere near the shifter. That is the access hole to the shift release. Pry up the cover and install a small wire (coat hanger size in to the hole and push on the release while pulling the shifter out of park. That is on there to access the shifter if your batt is dead and the car needs to be moved of towed. Check the brake lights when pushing the pedal. If the brake lights are not on, there will be no power supplied to the shift release solenoid located in the console. That is where the release get is power to activate.
Check fuses I agree with the previous post. Sounds like maybe more than one problem.
What blinkers? Hazard or turn signal? Check the 4 way hazard switch. If it is not completely on or off it can stop the t/s from working.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Want to solve future problems?

DON'T LET YOUR IDIOT BROTHER DRIVE YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!

Budget RVs
Old 01-24-2004, 10:20 AM
i think its broke...

Last photo:

no i dont think he did anything..... but this morning i thought maybe the little lever inside the ignition thats connected to the shifter was stuck??? nope no luck. oh one more thing, the reverse lights were not on...my idiot mistake it was the lights for the license plates...sorry i didnt take much time to think at that moment

alright. new news, i hit the switch got it out on the road. accelereates very slowly, my thgouth its not shifting and its stuck in 2nd. i take it to 40 mph road still not shifting. i slam the gas all the way, it usually downshifts, no downshift. something in the transmission. any more thoughts? anyone heard of this? i have 0 money to put into this car. i rely on this car to get me from my job to get the real car on the road. i believe i have 50 dollars tops

by the way my brother did mention the lack of acceleration

Last edited by FoxThunder 5.0; 01-24-2004 at 10:20 AM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.