Sometimes you have to spend the bucks for a good tool. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Sometimes you have to spend the bucks for a good tool.

I just picked up a new angle grinder that is KICK ARS. Some times you just have to open the wallet. This tool was $152.00 and worth every penny. It CUTS baby it has tons of torque just doesn't bog down like the old one. This and the swivel head die grinder I recently got. I don't know why they don't show it on the web site with the thing angled. It moves up and down quite a bit by pulling back on a coller like an air hose coupler. So now I can get right up along a frame rail and cut a straight line without my hand hitting the rail. It was pretty pricey at about $250.00 but I have to tell you, using these tools everyday, it is worth it.

Brian

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...&page=4&#55199

https://www.mactools.com/portal/site...00426fa8c0RCRD

Advertisement

Last edited by MARTINSR; 10-19-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2006, 06:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

nice tools. I'd wonder if there not just rebadged Ingersol Rand tools tho. I know a lot of Snap on air tools is just Rebadged IR stuff. great tools, that they tack on a few bucks for a nice red grip.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

Without a doubt they are rebadged something. The thing is the IR salesman doesn't walk up to me at my stall and hand me tools. Including warrantees, he walks up to me and hands me a repaired or replacement tool, that IS worth something.

Brian
Old 10-20-2006, 02:49 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

A guy I now work with just bought a mog welder, I think is says MATCO on it. He says he paid about $1400 for the set-up, with tank and cart, and I think maybe helmet. The thing is exactly the same as my Miller that I got at the local welding supply for $635, including tax. Now my price didn't include the $200 for the tank, $100 for the cart, or the helmet, but that was a whole lot less, for a different name badge and someone to deliver it.

Aaron
Old 10-20-2006, 03:58 AM

Last photo:

Aaron,

You forgot two things.

The store required you to pay for that unit before you got your hands on it.
The tool truck will come every week and collect $5 a week until its paid for.

There is no free lunch.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:12 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Yea Barry that is true. They are like rolling charge cards. You may not pay interest, as such, but you pay!

Aaron
Old 10-20-2006, 06:13 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Brian-
I think thats the same swivel head cutoff wheel is what I used last year at a buddies shop. Thats one of those MUST HAVE tools. Nice throttle control, gets into just about everywhere, quiet. Wheres that drooling smilie?

I'm not a tool truck guy (He never stops at my office...), but in their defense..

1.) He has all those tools in his truck at a moments notice. There is a cost for that.

2.) He carries everyones tool bill. Theres a cost for that

3.) I imagine he gets stuck alot for deadbeats, or guys that disappear.

4.) He has to eat, fuel for the truck, to be there for you every week.

5.) Whats the cost to make a trip to the store (If you had to pay yourself) Include a separate trip for warranty

It all adds up.

Last edited by Beenaway2long; 10-20-2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

MARTINSR, I have had my angle grinder now for about 4 months, and just love it. You are right its very hard to stall. It is one of those tools that once you get, you say why did I wait so long to replace my old one

As far as the tool guy's go... A good tool guy is worth his weight n gold, There has been many times that I needed that special tool, nobody has it but my trusty Matco tool truck. They are pricey, but just like anything that is easy and convenient.

Steve
Old 10-20-2006, 07:25 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

It looks like a big step up from my HF 90 degree grinder. It is a weakling - and when it finally dies will be replaced by something better - it turns Rollocks as long as I have the pressure turned up.

As far as the tool truck guy, Beenaway is correct but I do have a problem with several hundred percent MORE than the US made Craftsman, Kobalt and Husky tools sold at the Big Box stores.

While I do have a lot of Snap-on and Mac tools, I just can't afford them any more. Take a ferinstance(today's prices):
1/2" 12 point standard box/open end Snap-on = $23.95
Same thing - Craftsman = $7.19

3.33 times more than Craftsman !!!!

12 piece set from Sears = $49.99 (1/4" to 7/8")
11 piece set from Snap-on = $337.55(3/8" to 1")

6.75 times the Sears set

Warrantee, from experience, Craftsman is better though you do have to take defects to a store - an inconvenience.

My history with a couple of Snap-on guys was that it was a Spanish Inquisition of questions as to why his tool could have possibly failed. Is their door-to-door convenience really worth that much more?

Don't take this the wrong way - I love my Snap-on's and have several thousand dollars worth of them, but they are far outstripping reality as far as value added. Specialty tools - I advocate the best that you can afford - but can you justify a $300 tool you might use a half dozen times vs a $150 tool that will do the same thing.

Brian probably uses that Matco grinder every day and is well worth every penny it cost him. I can't justify that cost, though a $50-$60 grinder would probably suit me fine.

Oh c*@p, I got my soapbox out again - sorry guys, it's just been put away

Dave
Old 10-20-2006, 07:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

belive it or not. Harbor Freight's Pittsburg hand tools have a great warranty, better than Craftsmen's. life time warranty, if it breaks, they give you a new 1, no questions asked, even ratchets. not Craftsmens, you can have this rebuilt ratchet routine, that's even what Snap on does, just fix your old 1, most of the time. I have Pittsburg, Task Force, Craftsmen and Stanley tools myself, they all work equally as good. the Pittsburg sockets seem to not fit as good as Craftsmen or Stanley's but if it's loose, get a comparable size in meteric, it will be a good fit.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

You all are right, some of the costs are just out of line on the tool trucks. However, for a guy who makes a living with these tools "most" of those prices are worth it.

I have a mixture of Craftsmen (all my quarter inch sockets) Gear wrenches (Ace hardware and NAPA labels on Gear Wrench brand) S&K 1/2" deep impack sockets and even some HF (as mentioned in a recent thread). There are somethings I must have Snap On, Mac or Matco, Rachets, screw drivers, and chassis wrenches.

When I am under a car pushing with all my might on a tie rod end jamb nut or control arm bolt I want the BEST wrench I can get. Busting my knuckles on a sharp piece of metal isn't worth the savings. Ratchets, the tool trucks will rebuild my ratchets if I ask them too, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Screw drivers, holy cow, I remove and replace probably twenty five a day average at least. When the screw drivers tip gets a little worn, I get it replaced by a guy who walks into the shop up to my box, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I don't buy a lot of tools from them, I have not bought any big ticket items in years and years. Yet they treat me the same as the guys who do.

That service, one on one personal service is what it is all about and darn worth the money.

As the old sales line goes, "People buy from people".

Now I have paid too much (my 50$ dolly I saw a few days later at the Covell booth at a car show for 25$ comes to mind) or I have NOT paid the ridiculas price (280$ for a foam "kit" to line your drawers with that I got from Craftsmen for 45$) as well.

Sometimes though, sometimes, those tool trucks are pretty valuable. And yes the credit is hard to beat. For what ever reason, guys keeping a five hundred dollar tool purchase a secret from their wife, a young guy being able to get a tool on a small pay check, or just plain I NEED IT RIGHT NOW and don't have the bucks.

Brian
Old 10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Shoot for what I buy of the Matco truck every Friday night, I should be a spokesperson for the company, or at least a customer of the year candidate...

I haven't been to Sears to buy a craftsman tool in years. Just like Brian said when you make a living with your tools, 4th best just doesn't cut it.

Yes craftsman tools are very good but not as good as the tool truck tools.

I say I pay toooooooo muck for the tools off the tool truck, but every Friday night I'm out on the truck buying more.

Once you think you have bought all the tools you need, is the day you need to get out of the business... there is always a tool that makes a job easier

I love the young guys that start an auto repair job and say I have all the tools I need to do the job, carrying a tool box by a handle. I just smile and chuckle to myself and wait to see the first job they get and see their reaction when the guy next to them pulls out the proper tools and completes a job before they have all four wheels off the car. In this business time is money....

Steve
Old 10-20-2006, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

While I still ran my shop I used Snap-on almost exclusively, sure you paid more but you could count on the things always being there and working when you needed them. Now that I am retired and doing "hobby" work I am like a kid in a candy store when I go into Harbor Freight and even though I now own a bunch of that HF stuff I would NEVER even consider trying to use it in a professional shop, with a few exceptions, and I would strongly recommend using the pro brands to anyone making a living with their tools. Cheap tools are usually no bargain when time is money and can wind up costing a lot more than the purchase price might save so save the cheapies for the hobbys and like MartinSr said, Sometimes you have to open that wallet.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Yep, I took a swipe at the tool truck guys - but I did have some less than good experiences with some of the local guys in the past - your guys my be great, and the locals here now that I no longer buy tools for my living, may be the best in the world, but as Brian and others have said, personal service counts, and they lost my business due to lack of it - both Snap-on and MAC.

I will debate anyone on quality of Snap-on ratchets. They are the ONLY ones that I have ever had fail with regularity and have a couple of hand scars to prove it - they were repaired and sold. I had them in the Army - and they were junk there as well. I have used S-K with one failure in 40 years - my favorite 3/8 broke the ring gear after several years use. I still have the replacement, tho it's beginning to get sloppy. The two S-K 1/2" ratchets are about the same age and still work like new. My 1/4" is a Sears, a replacement after my S-K set was stolen a few years ago. It is probably replacement #6 or more - and never a rebuilt and will be eventually replaced by another S-K. Sears ratchets......, but warrented forever

We can debate the positives and negatives of tools and how we get them and it all comes down to personal choices and experiences.

Dave
Old 10-20-2006, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

On the rachets, I have found that the Snap On work the best for me, at the very least it gives me a "warm gooy feeling" using them. But the S-K as well as the later high end Craftsmen are SUPER ratchets, VERY nice.

Today I experianced another reason why I walk on that truck. We have MAC, MATCO (I've known him for about 20 years) and Snap On. They are all wonderful guys that will really bend over backwards for you. So, today I walked on the Snap On truck with a request for a very short #4 phillips screwdriver head for a socket to tighten the hinge bolts on the doors of my 65 Buick. He went to a drawer and pulled one out and handed it to me for free. THAT is the type of service I get and why I am not worried about a few more dollars here and there.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.