Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sometimes you have to spend the bucks for a good tool.
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 07:25 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

It looks like a big step up from my HF 90 degree grinder. It is a weakling - and when it finally dies will be replaced by something better - it turns Rollocks as long as I have the pressure turned up.

As far as the tool truck guy, Beenaway is correct but I do have a problem with several hundred percent MORE than the US made Craftsman, Kobalt and Husky tools sold at the Big Box stores.

While I do have a lot of Snap-on and Mac tools, I just can't afford them any more. Take a ferinstance(today's prices):
1/2" 12 point standard box/open end Snap-on = $23.95
Same thing - Craftsman = $7.19

3.33 times more than Craftsman !!!!

12 piece set from Sears = $49.99 (1/4" to 7/8")
11 piece set from Snap-on = $337.55(3/8" to 1")

6.75 times the Sears set

Warrantee, from experience, Craftsman is better though you do have to take defects to a store - an inconvenience.

My history with a couple of Snap-on guys was that it was a Spanish Inquisition of questions as to why his tool could have possibly failed. Is their door-to-door convenience really worth that much more?

Don't take this the wrong way - I love my Snap-on's and have several thousand dollars worth of them, but they are far outstripping reality as far as value added. Specialty tools - I advocate the best that you can afford - but can you justify a $300 tool you might use a half dozen times vs a $150 tool that will do the same thing.

Brian probably uses that Matco grinder every day and is well worth every penny it cost him. I can't justify that cost, though a $50-$60 grinder would probably suit me fine.

Oh c*@p, I got my soapbox out again - sorry guys, it's just been put away

Dave