Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sometimes you have to spend the bucks for a good tool.
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
You all are right, some of the costs are just out of line on the tool trucks. However, for a guy who makes a living with these tools "most" of those prices are worth it.

I have a mixture of Craftsmen (all my quarter inch sockets) Gear wrenches (Ace hardware and NAPA labels on Gear Wrench brand) S&K 1/2" deep impack sockets and even some HF (as mentioned in a recent thread). There are somethings I must have Snap On, Mac or Matco, Rachets, screw drivers, and chassis wrenches.

When I am under a car pushing with all my might on a tie rod end jamb nut or control arm bolt I want the BEST wrench I can get. Busting my knuckles on a sharp piece of metal isn't worth the savings. Ratchets, the tool trucks will rebuild my ratchets if I ask them too, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Screw drivers, holy cow, I remove and replace probably twenty five a day average at least. When the screw drivers tip gets a little worn, I get it replaced by a guy who walks into the shop up to my box, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I don't buy a lot of tools from them, I have not bought any big ticket items in years and years. Yet they treat me the same as the guys who do.

That service, one on one personal service is what it is all about and darn worth the money.

As the old sales line goes, "People buy from people".

Now I have paid too much (my 50$ dolly I saw a few days later at the Covell booth at a car show for 25$ comes to mind) or I have NOT paid the ridiculas price (280$ for a foam "kit" to line your drawers with that I got from Craftsmen for 45$) as well.

Sometimes though, sometimes, those tool trucks are pretty valuable. And yes the credit is hard to beat. For what ever reason, guys keeping a five hundred dollar tool purchase a secret from their wife, a young guy being able to get a tool on a small pay check, or just plain I NEED IT RIGHT NOW and don't have the bucks.

Brian