Thread: sonic test
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
We are talking a 350-400 hp engine here. Plus no oversize stated. A very common situation.

Yes, weak cylinder walls can be found in production blocks and old blocks. I have had new blocks sonic checked and still unusable from sand/air inclusions (one a mexican block from Summit). Just had a 283 from an old boat checked and it was junk from massive corrosion in water side of cylinder walls .

But, for the average guy building a 350 street engine. I will not insist on sonic check.. If I did. I would have been out of business 45 years ago..
WOW I have been sonic testing for 30 plus years now and still in business What are you doing wrong ?????????

It only costs 40.00 and about 10 minuts to do but guys don't mind spending 40.00 to find out they have a good piece to start with. 99% of the engines I build are performance only.

I have two 400 blocks here that are less then .125 and one cylinder per block and one guy was guessing say it was good because of core shift WRONG.

I sonic test for alot of shops in my area before they start a build cause they don't want to see any problems.

How does a sonic test find a sand inclusion ???