Hot Rod Forum banner

Soooo, I went to get a front end for my truck and met Guy Fieri.

3K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  V8&4spd 
#1 ·
I went on a little 190 mile trip today to get a 49-54 Chevy passenger car front end for my truck today in Santa Rosa up north above the SF bay. The guys house was way up many miles into the hills to the east of Santa Rosa, what a beautiful place!

Here's the guys house.

We got it into our van with a tractor.

On the way home we had planned to go to lunch at one of Guy Fieri's Diners Drive-inns and Dives as there are a number there being he lives there. Both us being foodies we get a kick out of the show and watch it often, just last night in fact. So I went on line and grabbed a couple off the list, La Texania was one of them which my wife wanted to go to so we did. We just finished off our lunch and in walks Guy! LOL It was damn funny and we got a photo (my wife has a mint stuck in her cheek) and left. By the way he doesn't drive a 67 Camaro Conv every day (knew he wouldn't but just thought I would say) he drives his kick butt Jeep. Check out the license plate. :D

Anyway, good day all in all with the wife and I got another goodie for my truck.

Brian

See less See more
#3 ·
Never watched him,,

I have to say this,, You must have paid your wife, To let you put that inside her van... I think you need to get that truck done, and fast,,:D

My wife **** when I put anything in her Yukon..:pain::spank:

That's why I have a truck..:mwink:

#4 ·
LOl, the only time she said anything was when she saw me put the seat belts around it.:pain:

I cleaned them up when we got home. It was way over kill anyway being it was tied in down to the trailer hitch. But I wanted to be extra sure if we were to hit something that sucker wouldn't smash us. It really wasn't a big deal, I am SOOOOOOO glad I decided to grab that sheet of plywood and lay it in there. That made all the difference in the world. And to get it out, did it by myself without so much as a grunt by pulling the plywood out the back to a cart. :thumbup:

Oh and I did some serious set up for when she saw that rusty POS as to why in the world would I pay money for it and why would we drive so far to get it. But it was such a nice drive with her, it was up in country that I was a paint rep in so it feels like going home for me to get up there.

Brian

#5 ·
I almost fell on the floor when I seen the seat belt's...:D
In inside the van at that...LOL:D

That's when you know for sure you have it bad,,,:D
But yes you wouldn't what that thing flying in the front seat...:pain:

Getting it out would be easy.. Just floor it and then hit the brakes,, It will come out by it's self..:D

#8 ·
Hey Brian. It is good to see you getting started on the truck. I am going to look at a '50 Ford shoebox tonight. Hope it works out. Keep us posted on the truck build. BTW I saw a Rambler at the Good-Guys that led me to believe Martha needs wider rear tires.

John

#9 ·
Sweet little Rambler there John. I would love to have a wagon, I have always loved them and one of these little Americans would be cool. I have a goal on getting to my truck full bore by the end of the year. I have some other things I need to do, if I can get that done I will be happy. If it comes before even better but that is my goal.

I have picked up all the major components I need now so it will make it a little smoother knowing what I have them. The one last thing I really want is a seat from a 49-54 passenger car. I THINK that is what I want, I had one and had to sell it when I closed up the shop being I didn't have a place to put it at the time. But with the roof being 6.5 inches lower I am not sure if I would want to cut it up enough anyway. So it may be the stock truck seat I am using, but for that matter I need one of them too.

I also need 4 nice 53ish wheels. I have a set but they are pretty rusted.

Brian

#10 ·
Sounds like you have a plan. There is a lot of really good advice on here when it comes time for paint and body......:mwink::D:thumbup::D:p

Please start a build thread and let us follow along. If I get the Shoebox I am going to post a thread on the patch panel and top chop. It should be good for some of the newer guys.

BTW. Has 123Pugsy posted any progress pictures lately. I miss seeing the work he was doing.

John

#15 ·
Yea ,John mine is on stand by for a couple weeks or so ,Kelly took in complete overhaul on 10 ambulances 2 freightliners 8 ford 450 complete paint ,interior ,cabinets air cond and floor covering ,so the assembley lane paint booth,and,body shop are really busy,he also put in a bid on 52 school buses ,paint only,,so mine is pushed aside for now,,:mad::mad:

#16 ·
Wow. I'll bet he would hire some good short term help. Talk about having your bucket full. Well at least we can be thankful he has plenty of business. I wish him well.

BTW, Went to look at the shoebox. Not today. It certainly could be built but it would have to be a convert or Vicky before I would be willing to build it. Lots more rust than the pictures showed.

John L

#28 ·
You know what's funny, I DID have the tires for the trailer and didn't know it. I was given a pair of nice tires on Friday, they looked too wide, I put one up in the fender and it was a quarter inch from hitting on both sides. So I pulled the seats from the van and took off. When I got back and the thing unloaded out of the van I took one of the wheels and tires over and hand it mounted and installed it and the rim had pulled in the sides so much that it fit just fine. :drunk:

But it's all good, it all worked out just fine.

Brian

#29 ·
LOL, I wonder if Guy Fiera would upset to know he turned out to be such a little part of this thread. :p

The Shoebox I looked at turned out to be much rougher than the pictures indicated. The pictures showed it in a garage but when I got there it was under a tree where it apparently had been for a while. I was surprised to see a '53 Chevy Belair conv pop on Craigslist yesterday which I am supposed to look at today. The problem with building a budget Chevy as compared to a Ford is GM used chrome instead of stainless. That really adds a significant amount of cost to build a nice car.

I could keep it pure blooded though. What do you guys think about putting a Chevy engine in a Chevy instead of a Ford? :drunk:

John

#31 ·
LOL, I wonder if Guy Fiera would upset to know he turned out to be such a little part of this thread. :p

The Shoebox I looked at turned out to be much rougher than the pictures indicated. The pictures showed it in a garage but when I got there it was under a tree where it apparently had been for a while. I was surprised to see a '53 Chevy Belair conv pop on Craigslist yesterday which I am supposed to look at today. The problem with building a budget Chevy as compared to a Ford is GM used chrome instead of stainless. That really adds a significant amount of cost to build a nice car.

I could keep it pure blooded though. What do you guys think about putting a Chevy engine in a Chevy instead of a Ford? :drunk:

John
I'll bet it would tick him off. He seemed to REALLY like being Guy Fieri. :rolleyes:

Brian

#30 ·
Ok, a couple of ideas, don't like the cost of the Chrome, REMOVE IT! :evil: You don't need that stinking chrome! No, honestly other than the grille there is just as much chrome on a Ford of the same vintage I believe.

On the motor, put a hot six in it, something fun instead of a belly button. :mwink:

Brian

#33 ·
I like the motor idea. :thumbup:

On removing the chrome, it just ain't my thing. I like to remove the junk ( hoot, trunk ornaments etc) but do not like painted bumpers or grills. The difference between a GM and a Ford product really shows up when you build a hardtop or convertible. GM used chrome around all the side windows and vent windows and ford used stainless. It is really difficult to find plate able pieces for the windows much less the cost of plating.

BTW I called the fellow with the 53 and told him I was going to come up and look at it and he told me he had changed his mind and was going to keep it.

Still looking

John L

#32 ·
When I was in culinary school; I got to meet Julia Child. Every TV chef since then, ALL of them, and I have my favorites...are all hacks compared to her. She did more with so much less, and truly sparked a cultural revolution both for women, and culinary people alike. Did you know she was in the OSS besides?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.