Sopa - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sopa

Eric Cantor said the bill will not move forward until a consensus is reached. Powerful Republicans like Issa and Rubio are opposed to SOPA and therefore a consensus cannot be reached. So it looks like the censorship bill is dead for now barring any backsliding.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

It is only a matter of time...
Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
It is only a matter of time...
Before what?

How do they intend exactly to monitor the internet? Do they even know how many PCs are actually connected to it at any given time?

Greed has put the major record labels & film studios in this position. They shot themselves in the foot when everything went digital.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:42 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

Incidentally, under SOPA, you could get 5 years for uploading a Michael Jackson song. That's one year more than the doctor who killed him.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job~Rated
Before what?

How do they intend exactly to monitor the internet? Do they even know how many PCs are actually connected to it at any given time?

Greed has put the major record labels & film studios in this position. They shot themselves in the foot when everything went digital.
It is only a matter of time before SOPA and PIPA are passed, in some shape or form. I couldn't tell you how they would accomplish their "goal". But I am more concerned about the why.

SOPA and PIPA are essentially opening up the doors for legal censorship and control of the internet. And this comes on heels of the NDAA, which gives the government the authority to put away anyone - citizen or not - who is 'suspected of terrorism for as long as they deem necessary, with no access to legal counsel. Unlimited detention. No proof needed. US soldiers would have this job of locking up people, essentially making way for a military state.

The Obama administration initially spoke out against the bill, because the administration felt it didn't give the president enough power. On the eve of 2012, December 31, 2011, Obama signed the bill into law, saying that his administration would allow those locked up under this bill to be able to go to court and challenge their detention. Well, that's great. What about the administrations after that?...

Of course, such bills are passed with the explanation that they are meant to safe guard America and its freedoms. However, instead of taking it to the American people, they are drawn up and passed as quietly as possible (how many people were asked to vote or given a say on the Patriot Act?). While the NDAA was being written up and voted on, it never made the news. What did make the news at the same time was the usual "The budget deadline is looming! The budget deadline is looming! Congress in a showdown!". The budget of course passes miraculously during the eleventh hour, like always. Good show they put on...

Quiet frankly, in my opinion, its all about real-time communication, documentation, and mobilization on a global level. The world saw the power of the internet during the Arab Spring, which the present U.S. administration spoke very highly of. The world also saw the power of the internet in the U.S. when the Occupy movement was in full swing. The world saw how quickly the people could mobilize and document what was going on live for everyone to see. watching everything live enraged and/or encouraged others to join as well. That probably doesn't sit too well with the folks at the top anywhere.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

I like the points you make Silverhawk.
I'd like to share some historical facts for comparison to our times. It's misconception that Hitler ruled by Fiat. He actually stayed within the Weimar Constitution the entire time he was in power. Everything the Germans did was legal. Auschwitz is in Poland. Gitmo is in Cuba. Everyone is taught that the 3rd Reich was a dictatorship, but structurally it was not. It retained it's democratic structure. What bridges democracy and tyranny is bureaucracy. Also it is important to know that Hitler seized control by taking on emergency powers after a terrorist attack on the German capital by communists which may or may not have actually been set up by the Nazis themselves.
It is also important to note that our elected congress is becoming less and less relevant each day. Obama tries to move something through Congress and if he can't he just rams it through the Washington bureaucracy. This reminds me of reading Gibbon's account of how irrelevant the Roman Senate was after Julius and Augustus.
I believe the military elite, the praetorians so to speak, will realize their real power at some point and they will see the weak kleptocracy in Washington for what it is; at which point they will try to seize control either directly or behind the scenes. Keep in mind that there were over a dozen attempts on Hitler's life and that many of those attempts were carried out by the Military.
It's a natural course of events we are on, but I believe that America is special. America is the most unique nation there has ever been on the face of the earth, and we can still buck the trend we're on. The march of the enemies of freedom is not inevitable. We can stop these bastards.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:48 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job~Rated
...you could get 5 years for uploading a Michael Jackson song.
Sounds about right. And 10 for a Janet Jackson song LOL
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

My question(which is somewhat rhetorical because the answer is MONEY) is why don't sites like you tube self-police themselves?

i mean they are so big they could hire a team--say 12 people who do nothing but surf the site (what a job) and immediately delete/disable clearly copyrighted material?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

I think you're underestimating the size of the internet. Also they already accomplish this in a way. A Surfpolicenerd at Warner Brothers sees some looney toons clip on youtube they don't like being up there and they notify Google who takes it down. However the basis of your idea wrongly assumes that it is the site owner that is responsible for posted content. If someone commits a murder at your house are you responsible for the crime? Obviously not, even if he did use your garden shears to snip his ex girlfriends head off in your living room.
Hotroddders has 100,000 or more registered users. If I post something that is copyrighted why should everyone on the site have to suffer and the owner have his site shutdown remotely by some cocaine snorting hollywood pedophile? If I do something illegal on someone else's site it is my responsibility. However if the site is alerted by a third party of illegal content it is reasonable for them to respond to request in a proportional manner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.