sorry for this but: 454 or 496 ?? tight tight budget - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

sorry for this but: 454 or 496 ?? tight tight budget

Hello!
Sorry for this multi-over-posted subject but I'm 20 years old and are new to this. I live in Sweden and study which is a really bad combination because everything cost a fortune here and I don't have so much cash. And in sweden we can't just go to a junkyard and pick up a block. All american parts are rare, expansive and wanted (at least 350" and over). We have to pay 30% in taxes on everything we order from US. I have a firebird -67 which has cost me too much already. Complete engines are very expensive so I need to build one my self.
I want around (or almost) 550hp with good torque and the car is only going for street usage and maybe try strip one time or two.

I read so my eyes are almost bleeding (feels like at least) but I don't get much clearer what to do.

I have found an empty 2 bolt 454 block for about 950usd which needs to be drilled (4-bolt empty block is 1800usd) Because it's cheaper to order a new rotating kit from summit instead of buying used parts in sweden (if there is anything to buy). The difference between 454 rotating and 496 stroker rotating kit is just around 300usd so it's feels stupid to not going for the 496.

I also found stock 049 heads for about 700usd which has been little reman. I don't have afford with alu heads (1400usd + 30% taxes + shipping).

But in every 496 build I've seen everyone say roller cam is a must and I really can't afford it. I've seen many recommend cams like comp cams 11-456-8 but isn't there any alternative like flat tappet cam corresponding to this one I can use? What is the cheapest/working rockers and springs for this?

I plan to go with a dual plane intake (like Weiand 8018) and maybe a edelbrock performer 800cfm carb or holley 4150 750-850cfm.

So what should I do? And are there any guides out on internet for how to porting the 049s, it's seems like they are so popular for budget builds? I don't want to just guess and mess them up. There is noone who port around where I live.

Would really appreciate if someone could present a complete combo which is honest rated and would be best and cheap for me. Which pistons should I go with in the combo to get the right compression to run pump gas (we have same octane as you).

454 or 496 with really really budget in mind:
Do I need a high-volyme pan and oil pump?
How small fuel pump can I go before it's not enough for the engine?

You propably going to think I'm stupid but I'm serious and admit that I don't know almost anything about transmissions or rear end:
Will my th350 which is reman and have shiftkit hold for a 454 or a 496 until I can afford a th400 or uppgrade my th350?
Will my rear end which is orginal on my fbird hold whith a real posi diff and some basics uppgrades?
I NOT running slicks, fat tires and don't have to smoke tires all the time

Hope you can help me despite that it's about 454 and 496 budget build, but I have really read and search a lot.

Thanks
Stefan Bergman

Advertisement

Last edited by Berres; 03-14-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 PM

I've just bought a running 454 block casting 3999289 with 049 heads for about 1900 usd wich was a affordable price in sweden i think.

I will not stroke it 496 however when I now have a complete bottom.

What do you think is the best thing is to do with it according to my tight budget?

Will my stock bottom hold for the power I can get out of my 454?
I counting with that the engine needs to be be drilled so I will bought new pistons.
How should I do to get the most out of the engine with my thight budget?
Which pistons give me the right compression?
Is it worth to try to port the heads if I can't afford to install bigger valves (I'm afraid it's very expensive).
What ignition can I go with?
Is a roller still like "a must" when i stay 454?
Can I go with edelbrock 1722 fuel pump they said that it's up to 600hp? The problem is that next step is holley 130gph pump but then a regulator is required witch also costs..

I will go with a 2800 stall converter
3.73 ratio rear end.
pump gas.
Street engine, not much highway, race buddies sometimes.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

the 049 heads are really not that great of a head to start off with considering they have 122cc combustion chambers which will make it so you will need to run around a 16-20cc domed piston in order to get around 9.5:1 compression. i wouldn't worry about putting larger valves in them, as you are not trying to stretch the limits of this motor, just some decent port work in the bowls, around the guides, and seeing if you can 30 back cut the valves (you will need a machine shop for that) as far as a cam goes yes you can use a flat tappet cam, but you will have to make sure you follow the proper procedures for break in (break in lube) and continue to use ZDDP oil additives through out the life of the engine.

here are some realitively cheap pistons that should work:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PBP-P2465F-030/

here is a pretty decent cam kit, with it atleast you know you will be getting the right springs for the cam.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K11-243-4/

as far as machine work goes, i would check to see if the cylinders need to be bored over, turn the crank and rods, get the pistons you need , have everything rebalanced. then put the bottem end back together.

as far as rockers go, it all depends on if you want a true roller rocker or if you just want steel long slot rockers. it is pointless to buy a rocker that had the normal long slot roker ball trunion but will a roller tip (they are a waste of money in my opinion) but you can get long slot 1.7 ratio BBC rockers for around 80-110 (in the US) and true roller rockers for 200-275 (in the US)
Old 03-26-2011, 12:56 PM

thanks for reply! have worked 24/7 so didn't have the time to answer.
I have found a setup i will go with using that pistons, roller tips and do the balancing and so on.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.