Hot Rod Forum banner

Source for 50s-60s STYLE cloth and brocade??

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bobbyv 
#1 ·
Im looking for a source for cloth/brocade in the STYLE of the 50s & 60s interiors. I'm not restoring anything so I don't need the high dollar NOS factory stock. Just something with the same "feel" of that period. Im wanting to get creative with an interior. >=)

Thanks,
Robert

#2 ·
Kinda tuff..keep asking on several boards. I had a few guys get back to me when I was looking for the same stuff. I kept searching EBAY for any cloth from the 50's/60's for my Rambler and came across some 1961 Impala nos stuff..like 10+ yards for 100 bucks..I was thrilled.I saw fabric on there from time to time..not too bad on prices too...Heres what I had originally and what the outcome was using the Impala cloth...you have to be persistant especially if you need a certain color (like I did) :welcome:

My stock stuff looked good but was dry rotted....

#5 ·
Yes, SMS is expensive, but if you need to match some vintage fabric, they are the place to go: CLICK HERE

The problem with buying from a source you don't know is that you have no idea how the fabric was stored, and you aren't going to get a guarantee.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm not wanting actual original cloth. It's more than I care to spend and I feel that an restorer will need it so why waste it on me. I'm wanting cloth that is the same finish and weight as the late 50s early 60's. Just something in all black with the thin wavy texture that was popular with the Big 3 back then. ISS out of Dallas, TX had sent me samples last year but have since fallen off the map. Any more recomendations?

Those seats came out Fantastic BTW.

Thanks,
Robert

#7 ·
Just go to your local fabric shop...they actually have some simple fabrics that have a Frize'ish pattern that would work..especially if your doing black..You can get a heavy enough grade that will hold up too.....
You can try barcloth as well but it will not be as heavy or strong..I am going to use a barcloth in my Rambler wagon...Barcloth is what alot of vintage furniture people use to recover 50' sofas..its will work and looks nice but it will be lighter and wear faster...Alot of your atomics are barcloth....If you really want to get funky try searching for 1950's/60's curtain panels..you may turn something up that you like if theres enough material to do what it is you want.....
Good luck!

#8 ·
That sounds like what I'm looking for =) In Oklahoma, I worrry less wear and more about UV protection. Is there a chemical treatment I can spray on the cloth that will protect against fading UV rays? Love the curtain idea!!! My grandmother had some from the early 60's that would have been perfect. =D

thanks,
Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.