Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Source for bandsaw blades?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A while back, with a small shop, I had a lot of trouble getting right-size blades, and then often times the welds would snap. Got so aggravated I bought a blade welder for $900 and started just buying in coils...pricey but then you always have some. Guys would walk in and buy blades from me sometimes, I think I charged ten bucks plus blade material.

Any old metal shop that has an upright "Do-All" band saw will likely have a blade welder as part of the saw.

But, you can weld your own with gas or tig. The trick is to hold the ends aligned well, and anneal it afterward, just barely have about a half-inch section of it glowing a little, not red hot, then bring the heat down slowly. When it cools, bend it a couple times to test then grind off the extra weld. It's actually as reliable as the blade welder, just takes longer. Maybe you want to grind the teeth back a little in that area so that part is not having to cut.

Obviously the way for a guy just wanting one blade is a good supplier of pre-welded blades, I'm just throwing in some comments.