source for mopar flat head 6 performance parts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

source for mopar flat head 6 performance parts

Does anyone have a good source for mopar flathead 6 performance parts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 AM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

First if you have any plans to keep the flathead let me say you can have a very reliable, decent performing engine that you will not see a 100 of at the next car show. The flatty will draw attention when you have the hood open. You will not win many drag races with the flatty, but I am very happy with mine. I had a 383 / 727 in my last 48 Plymouth coupe which ran like a scalded cat. I now have a 230 flathead and while it obviously does not run like the V8, I am pleased with what I have as I am a different kind of car guy than I was 30 years ago.

If you want a little more Umph out of your flathead try to find a 230 out of 50's Plymouth or Dodge. I recently made the change which was a bolt in and the performance difference is definately noticible. Drove the 218 as my daily for 4 years in Dallas and it did just fine but the 230 was an improvement.

You need to check out the P15-D24 Site

Once there you will find a ton of info on the Mopar flatheads. Also search for "Olddaddy" he sells a pretty much bolt on disc brake kit for the old Mopars as well as a front shock relocation kit. The old Plymouth has a good front suspension once the shocks are relocated.

For Speed Parts

You can look at Edgy Speed Shop for finned aluminum head, intake and reground cams

Langdon's Stovebolt Eng Co for intake, cast iron headers and HEI distributor

Transmission

Another thing you will want to look for is an Overdrive Transmission. There are several options a stock Borg Warner R10 OD from a mid to late Plymouth or Dodge, a T5 from an S10 or some of the later Mopar 5 speeds.

Paul Curtis for an adaptor to mount a T5 5 speed behind the flathead

Quality Engineered Components for the late model Mopar 5 speeds or automatic behind the flathead.

The R10 is a bolt in if you have the standard 3 speed now. All you would have to do is add a couple wires to control the Solenoid / Govenor.

Alternatives for the OD transmission is a rearend swap to an 8 3/4 from a late 60's - early 70's Mopar B Body or a 89-90 Dakota rear with something like a 3.55 gear. Your stock rear is either a 3.90 or a 4.10 so the taller gear will help on the highway. Once you relocate the spring perches this is pretty much a bolt in.

For Standard Rebuild Parts

Terrill Machine 254-893-2610 (TX)

Vintage Power Wagons

Egge Machine

Roberts Motor Parts

Andy Bernbaum

Some Other Interesting Reading

Blueskies 50 Plymouth Build

Interesting HAMB (Oh what a dirty word) Threads

Hot rodded Mopar flathead 6's here?

Flat head 6's lets see them

218 Performance bolt ons?

Projects - Rebuilding the Plymouth Flathead 6

Here are a couple pictures of my 57 Plymouth 230 in my 48 Plymouth Coupe. On my Dallas to Joplin round trip for the HAMB Drags I got 20.9mpg out of it with the R10 O/D transmission running 65-70 MPH on the highway.

I do not have any video of the 230 running yet but I do my old 218 and I think it sound pretty good. 218 Running
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 AM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

wow! this has got to be one of the most detailed responses to a post ive ever seen what a ton of information!great job
Old 09-18-2011, 09:12 AM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

Thanks helrazr3, I have always been a Mopar guy and over the past 4-5 years have gained a bit of knowledge / info on the flatheads. They are really a pretty good power source and Mopar produced them virtually uchanged up through the early 70's for use in industrial applications, so parts are readily available at NAPA, Autozone, Tractor supply/repair facilities. They were used a lot in fork trucks, airport tugs, irrigation pumps, combines, tractors etc.

Need to make one revision to the info I provided after reading through it again.

On my post above the reference to the Borg Warner R10 OD should say from a mid to late 50's Plymouth or Dodge.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkestes
First if you have any plans to keep the flathead let me say you can have a very reliable, decent performing engine that you will not see a 100 of at the next car show. The flatty will draw attention when you have the hood open. You will not win many drag races with the flatty, but I am very happy with mine. I had a 383 / 727 in my last 48 Plymouth coupe which ran like a scalded cat. I now have a 230 flathead and while it obviously does not run like the V8, I am pleased with what I have as I am a different kind of car guy than I was 30 years ago.

If you want a little more Umph out of your flathead try to find a 230 out of 50's Plymouth or Dodge. I recently made the change which was a bolt in and the performance difference is definately noticible. Drove the 218 as my daily for 4 years in Dallas and it did just fine but the 230 was an improvement.

You need to check out the P15-D24 Site

Once there you will find a ton of info on the Mopar flatheads. Also search for "Olddaddy" he sells a pretty much bolt on disc brake kit for the old Mopars as well as a front shock relocation kit. The old Plymouth has a good front suspension once the shocks are relocated.

For Speed Parts

You can look at Edgy Speed Shop for finned aluminum head, intake and reground cams

Langdon's Stovebolt Eng Co for intake, cast iron headers and HEI distributor

Transmission

Another thing you will want to look for is an Overdrive Transmission. There are several options a stock Borg Warner R10 OD from a mid to late Plymouth or Dodge, a T5 from an S10 or some of the later Mopar 5 speeds.

Paul Curtis for an adaptor to mount a T5 5 speed behind the flathead

Quality Engineered Components for the late model Mopar 5 speeds or automatic behind the flathead.

The R10 is a bolt in if you have the standard 3 speed now. All you would have to do is add a couple wires to control the Solenoid / Govenor.

Alternatives for the OD transmission is a rearend swap to an 8 3/4 from a late 60's - early 70's Mopar B Body or a 89-90 Dakota rear with something like a 3.55 gear. Your stock rear is either a 3.90 or a 4.10 so the taller gear will help on the highway. Once you relocate the spring perches this is pretty much a bolt in.

For Standard Rebuild Parts

Terrill Machine 254-893-2610 (TX)

Vintage Power Wagons

Egge Machine

Roberts Motor Parts

Andy Bernbaum

Some Other Interesting Reading

Blueskies 50 Plymouth Build

Interesting HAMB (Oh what a dirty word) Threads

Hot rodded Mopar flathead 6's here?

Flat head 6's lets see them

218 Performance bolt ons?

Projects - Rebuilding the Plymouth Flathead 6

Here are a couple pictures of my 57 Plymouth 230 in my 48 Plymouth Coupe. On my Dallas to Joplin round trip for the HAMB Drags I got 20.9mpg out of it with the R10 O/D transmission running 65-70 MPH on the highway.

I do not have any video of the 230 running yet but I do my old 218 and I think it sound pretty good. 218 Running
Thank you so much for all the great info! I am going to stick with the 218 because it is the original motor in running condition with 4300 original miles on it. I am doing tons of custom interior work, so it is not that I am all about keeping the car factory original, but like you said, I am not going to see 100 flatheads at the next car show. I figure it is just a little more special that it is the true original engine. Thanks a ton for all the great sites for parts! I was going to create another post asking about trans but you took care of that one too! I am excited to get back into the garage and give my 218 a makeover!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Great engines... so many got tossed out with the trash over the years.

great info, too BTW.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 AM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileGuy49
Thank you so much for all the great info! I am going to stick with the 218 because it is the original motor in running condition with 4300 original miles on it. I am doing tons of custom interior work, so it is not that I am all about keeping the car factory original, but like you said, I am not going to see 100 flatheads at the next car show. I figure it is just a little more special that it is the true original engine. Thanks a ton for all the great sites for parts! I was going to create another post asking about trans but you took care of that one too! I am excited to get back into the garage and give my 218 a makeover!
If you are wanting to keep the original engine, you can still upgrade to a 230. All you would need to do is find a 230 crank and matching rods which will fit in your 218 block. You would also need to have the 230 flywheel or do some minor machining (about 3/16 inch) on your 218 flywheel or the mounting surface of the bellhousing where the starter bolts on.

The bore of the 218 and 230 are the same.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Great info, excellent engines, beautiful pics!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM

I'm working on a 49 Coronet with a 230 in it. This has been the most information I've been able to find on parts anywhere. Thanks for posting this.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Mopar 6 Flatheads. Yes I need Sources

1934 Plymouth PE Deluxe 2 door sedan. Need sources for Tri-Power Single barrel carb intake. Aluminum Angle spark plug head, Phillips Enterprises had one he was making. He Plydo ended up with the molds, But I here they went out of business???? Anyone here this story before???
Old 08-16-2013, 02:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaroaddog View Post
1934 Plymouth PE Deluxe 2 door sedan. Need sources for Tri-Power Single barrel carb intake. Aluminum Angle spark plug head, Phillips Enterprises had one he was making. He Plydo ended up with the molds, But I here they went out of business???? Anyone here this story before???
This work for you:230/218 header with carbs dodge/plymouth - THE H.A.M.B.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Great information and contacts. I came on to this site looking for a little bit of info and found the holy grail for Mopar flatheads......those are great photos of hkestes flathead, it will be the template for mine.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:23 AM
4950fmc

Like you said, a ton of great info. There is a bunch of us who like different engines. Inliners International, Membership Chair, Linda Henry, 6558 Red Hill Road, Boulder, Co. 80302-3400 will help you with joining. It's a 6 cyl.club with Chapters throughout the states. Langdon's mentioned in previous thread is one of many members(1450 currently). Club was formed around 1980, I've been a member since 1981. Great bunch of people who love to talk Inlines.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks 4950fmc. I will look into the sites and clubs you have referred to. Also looking for a source for Dodge Flathead Speed Parts. Been checking the usual for sale sites. My first project is a 1935 Dodge Brothers pickup flathead six. Looking for aluminum head, twin carb intake and carbs and split manifold etc. Maybe a tranny conversion and brake conversion etc for driveability.
Similar to the pics above would be the look.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:14 AM
4950fmc

Mopar Inlines

dodgebrother, two responses: 1-Inliners tech advisor likes to make his own 2x1 manifold, split man.and work with the stock head. Langdon's has/ manufactures carb. adapters for the Holley/Weber 2bbl vac. secondary carbs and many other of the parts you are looking for. If he doesn't, I'm sure he knows where to find them.
I kick myself after I passed up a 2x1 man. when I didn't know what it fit and neither did the man selling it. We need to educate ourselves for just this kind of situation. Often times the price is in the buyers favor when the seller doesn't know what it fits.
I'm working on a 40 Ply., using a 41 6cyl that I want to dress the same as your's. really want a later model motor but haven't come across one yet.
Langdon's e-mail: Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Co. | Specializing in GM 6 Cylinder High Performance Parts. Happy Hunting !!!!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.