Source for YN code Mustang silver? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Source for YN code Mustang silver?

I'm redoing some bumpers and the hood on a 02 GT and am in need of some base. I'd prefer Chromabase as I already have the basemaker etc. I like to buy locally, but I've got a feeling my local rep is putting the screws to me. He wants 195 a quart. Can this be right? Any alternatives? Mail order etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would try some of the online sources..I have the same issue with our local suppliers..Just do a search for auto body supplies and a bunch come up..

Sam
Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

I found a site called TCPGlobal offering PPG and a line called Restoration Shop. Both are considerably cheaper than the local supplier, but the Restoration Shop is 1/2 what the PPG is. Anyone have experience with this paint? Is it worth spending the extra for the brand name? I've worked with Nason and could definately tell the difference in coverage and depth as compared to Chromabase. Same situation?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

I would go with PPG Global-DBC or Dupont Chroma Premier since you are only doing the bumpers and a hood so you will have a good color match
Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Official Solventologist

Ask your online supplier how they are going to get you the correct alternate or be prepared to blend. Most car colors have alternates which are different colors that have the same color code. I just looked up that color in Sikkens and there are 9 alternates for it. That means your online supplier has a 1 in 10 (9 alternates + 1 original) chance of getting you the correct color. Your local supplier can pull alternate chips or a color spectro and compare to your car to identify the right color to mix.

Don't get me wrong online is the way to go if you are doing overalls and custom painting because of price and selection. Unless you are good at blending, stick to the local guys for spot and panel repairs.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou_Eagle
Ask your online supplier how they are going to get you the correct alternate or be prepared to blend. Most car colors have alternates which are different colors that have the same color code. I just looked up that color in Sikkens and there are 9 alternates for it. That means your online supplier has a 1 in 10 (9 alternates + 1 original) chance of getting you the correct color. Your local supplier can pull alternate chips or a color spectro and compare to your car to identify the right color to mix.

Don't get me wrong online is the way to go if you are doing overalls and custom painting because of price and selection. Unless you are good at blending, stick to the local guys for spot and panel repairs.
I would agree 100% it is hard to get a good color match these days and most of the time you still end up having to blend into the next panel
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Last photo:

My local supplier charged me $30.00 for a half pint and I painted both bumpers and both rear quarters with bending into both doors and only used half what I bought. You should be able paint what you need to paint with less than a pint of chromobase and still have enough left for any blending you need to perform. The variable shading code for that color is four which is your standard gray and should cover in two coats. You don't need a quart of base for that job. Be sure to give the vendor the vin# so he can vindicate the formula when mixed.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

why on earth would there be ten versions of a single color code? That doesnt make sense. Is it different suppliers for the paint?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPadula
why on earth would there be ten versions of a single color code? That doesnt make sense. Is it different suppliers for the paint?
Just so may things can make a variance in a color including temp, humidity, time of day, color lot, and others that most paint from the factory will have shading in it..If a car sets outside the paint may fade a bit as well..it is all enough to send a painter around the bend getting a good match..

Sam
Old 11-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Official Solventologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPadula
From what i learned many years ago the variances come from envrironmental factors like mentioned above and from differenent spray equipment giving it slightly different looks. From what I understand sometimes one batch of paint is sent to multiple plants where the cars are sprayed and the cars in the two plants often end up slightly different in color. Combine that with the environmental effects and the number of variances grow. It's a real problem professional repairers run into that a lot of people don't even know exist. Once you master blending it isn't a problem but people that bold on parts expecting it to match w/o using variant selection tools get burned a lot of times.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

I totally understand how different pressures and humidity/temperature could affect the lay of the metallic and change the color, but then you are saying that there are different paint mixes that try to imitate the difference in colors due to application?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Yup..When doing blends one mixes a sample and shoots a test card and then if it is needed alters the mix a bit until the best possible match is obtained..one needs to know his product well in order to do this. and experience does help along with a good eye for color..

Sam
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

So when I order paint, I need to match samples of the alternates? Where does the VIN tag come into this?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

The new mixing banks come with a computerized database and the guy at the store enters in the year make model and vin of the car and up pops a formula for that particular color..if all goes well the mix is a good match for that car. but then there are times when we do need to hand match. hand matching is something the old guys know about from the days before we had computer database mixing banks. If you have to fix an owweey on an older car then you will find out about hand matching color.. i know clear as mud..

Sam
Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

Each plant may tend to use different brands of paint when finish coating a vehicle. From that you will get variants of finishes. Dupont works with the the individual plants to record these variants. The Vin# will tell the jobber which plant painted the vehicle and which variant is applicable for refinish.

In most cases the system works well. However, theres still never a 100% guarantee and some blending may still be required. I've found the DupontChromo system in conjunction with the vindication system works pretty good and the blending to be much easier than using any other brands just because of costs.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.